This healthy and tasty Red Lentil Soup with Bacon is vibrantly colorful and aromatic. It is going to keep you warm during the cold weather.
I like cooking with lentils. Red, green, yellow, brown – they are all so delicious! I think you are going to fall in love with this Red Lentil Soup with Bacon. Everyone who is lucky enough to taste it does.
Although I cook a vegetarian version of this soup most of the time, today, I decided to add some bacon. It’ll bring a little more flavor, crunch, and color. I used thick-cut bacon slices, so I ended up having some nice, thick, browned pieces to use as garnish.
Hopefully, you have decided to give this soup a try. And now that you are putting a grocery store shopping list together, here is what you’ll need:
- 6 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. of sweet paprika
- 1 lb. of red lentils
- 10 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, to taste
- fresh scallion, to garnish
1. Cut the bacon into medium-sized (about 1/2 inch) pieces. Cook it over high heat until it turns golden brown.
2. Reduce the heat to medium, remove the bacon, and set aside. To the same pot, add the carrot, onion, and bell pepper.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
4. Add the tomato paste and paprika, and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Add the lentils, water, and bay leaves. Cover with a lid and cook for 30 minutes.
6. After the soup is cooked through, remove the bay leaves and discard. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add salt to taste.
7. Serve the soup topped with the reserved bacon pieces and freshly chopped scallion.
I also LOVE to add some feta cheese crumbles on top. So, if you happen to have some in the fridge, go ahead and give it a try.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE RED LENTIL SOUP WITH BACON
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small percentage if you make a purchase using this link.
PIN THIS RECIPE