Hearty and comforting, healthy and low-calorie — this vegetarian Ultimate Mushroom Soup recipe is the only one you'll ever need!
My mom taught me how to make this soup and now it’s time to pass the knowledge on to you guys. It is the most flavorful soup of all the mushroom soups out there, and one of the healthiest. What makes this soup so special you ask? It has a secret... Read on.
The secret to the rich and hearty flavor in this recipe is the cooking time. The more you cook it, the better it becomes. It's that simple. OK, let's talk about ingredients.
You'll notice in the ingredient list that I used 2 pounds of mushrooms. That may seem like A LOT to you, but there is no mistake there. The mushrooms reduce greatly in size once you start cooking them and in order to get that amazing mushroom flavor, we need to use a lot of mushrooms. 🙂
I use wheat berries in this recipe, but feel free to use farro or barley. Whatever you have on hand.
You probably know by now that any soup will be more (so much more!) flavorful if you use chicken or vegetable stock instead of water. I never buy canned or boxed stock, but I do have a little secret ingredient that I’ve used in ALL of my soup recipes for at least 10 years now. Drum-roll please... Vegeta All Purpose Seasoning!!!
It is the best seasoning in the world and I strongly stand behind it. So, if you don’t want to purchase stock every time you cook a soup, I suggest you give it a try. You will be impressed and your grocery bags will be so much lighter.
In this recipe, you can use vegetable stock or just water with 2 tbsp of Vegeta All Purpose Seasoning. In both cases you are on your way to making The Ultimate Healthy Mushroom Soup. Enjoy it, friends!!!
Disclaimer: the link in this post for Vegeta All Purpose Seasoning is Amazon affiliate link.
ULTIMATE MUSHROOM SOUP
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 lbs white button mushrooms
- ½ tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3 meduim carrots
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 quarts vegetable stock or water with 2 tbsp of Vegeta Seasoning. (see notes)
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- In a large 5-quart pot, saute the onion in olive oil on low heat for about 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms.
- Add mushrooms to the onion and increase heat to high. Cook the mushroom for about 10 minutes, until all the liquid evaporates. Meanwhile, you can peel and cube potatoes and carrots.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (excluding flour) to the mushrooms and bring the soup to a boil. The pot should be almost full at this point.
- Once the soup starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 1 hour. (About ⅓ of the liquid will evaporate).
- Mix the flour with ½ a cup of cold water and add it to the soup. Cook for another 10 minutes. Let the soup cool down slightly before serving.
Before you go...
Check out these recipes