Cheesy, creamy deliciousness. This flavorful Mashed Potato Casserole will make your taste buds dance and please any dinner guest at your table.
This Mashed Potato Casserole is made with potatoes, sour cream, and goat cheese to give it a smooth and creamy texture that's also full of flavor. Topped with Parmesan cheese and baked until a golden crust forms, you won't want to wait to dig into this amazing meal.
This Mashed Potato Casserole is a great comfort food to bring out on a cold night. It's also the perfect dish when you need to bring something to a potluck or for a dinner party. The flavors are rich and addictive, so you know people will be coming back for seconds. Let's take a look at the ingredients.
- Potatoes. Any potatoes will do, including russet and Yukon gold. Just avoid the Red Bliss variety when making this recipe.
- Goat Cheese. Adds a subtle aroma and flavor to the dish.
- Sour Cream. Makes the dish super creamy.
- Butter. Because mashed potatoes can't live without it. 🙂
- Milk. Gives the mashed potatoes a slightly lighter texture.
- Salt. Add to taste.
- Parmesan cheese. Gives the dish its beautiful golden crust and an extra punch of flavor.
How to Make Mashed Potato Casserole
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into medium pieces. Place them in a pot and cover with water. Boil the potatoes, cooking them until they are soft. Then, drain the liquid out and place the potatoes into a mixing bowl.
2. Using a masher, give them a rough mash. Then, add the goat cheese, butter, sour cream, and salt. Mash thoroughly, making sure to fully incorporate all the ingredients throughout.
3. Add the milk and then mash again until the potatoes have a smooth and creamy texture.
4. Spoon the mashed potatoes into an oven-safe casserole dish and then sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top. Bake at 350ºF for 40 minutes. Once a golden-brown crust has formed, remove it from the oven and serve.
Helpful Tips & Tricks
Use herbed goat cheese. When you purchase your goat cheese for this recipe, opt for a variety that already has herbs in it. This will add extra flavor to your casserole.
Bake the next day. This recipe is great because you don't have to make it on the day you serve it. You can prepare it the day before in the casserole dish and then just pop it in the oven before dinnertime.
Not a goat cheese fan? If the tangy taste and aroma of goat cheese isn't to your liking, then you can substitute cream cheese instead.
Don’t Add Cold Ingredients to Warm Potatoes. Make sure your dairy products are room temperature before adding them in. The potatoes will absorb them better this way and the dish will end up much creamier.
How to Store and Reheat
To store this Mashed Potato Casserole, place it in a storage container with a tightly-fitting lid. It can stay in the refrigerator for up to four days.
To reheat this dish, you can do it in the oven or use a slow cooker. If you use the oven, then heat the mashed potatoes in an oven-safe dish or pan, covered by foil, at 375ºF for 30-40 minutes. In a slow cooker, just add a little bit more milk and butter to keep it moist as it warms.
If you'd like to reheat it in the microwave, you will need to warm it for a couple of minutes at a time, stirring in more milk and butter as needed, to keep the consistency.
This Mashed Potato Casserole is a yummy dish to serve to family and friends. It has it all: great flavors, creamy texture, golden Parmesan crust. This is a comfort food that you'll come back to again and again.
In the winter months, I love this dish because it will warm you from the inside out. And it makes a great addition to any potluck or dinner party. So, give this Mashed Potato Casserole a try and watch it disappear.
More tasty potato recipes:
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Cheddar Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- Parmesan Mashed Potato Cakes
- Classic Potato Pancakes
- Potato Curry
Mashed Potato Casserole
- 2 lbs. potatoes
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into medium pieces. Place them in a pot and cover with water. Boil the potatoes, cooking them until they are soft. Then, drain the liquid out and place the potatoes into a mixing bowl.
- Using a masher, give them a rough mash. Then, add the goat cheese, butter, sour cream, and salt. Mash thoroughly, making sure to fully incorporate all the ingredients throughout.
- Add the milk and then mash again until the potatoes have a smooth and creamy texture.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes into an oven-safe casserole dish and then sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top. Bake at 350ºF for 40 minutes. Once a golden-brown crust has formed, remove it from the oven and serve.