This Easy Rice and Okra dish is so flavorful and delicious. Once you've tasted it, you'll never look at okra the same way again!
Okra and basmati rice seasoned with turmeric, Italian herbs, and red pepper flakes, and cooked with onions, garlic, and pepper. This Rice and Okra recipe is not only easy to make but so tasty. The mix of flavors is mouthwatering. I know not everyone is a fan of okra, but you have got to try it made this way!
Okra gets a bad rap because people worry that it will be slimy. But I promise you, the okra in this recipe is not slimy at all. Cooked to perfection and mixed with delicious herbs and spices, you're going to love the way this dish tastes. The texture and complementary flavors are so good, and you'll love how simple it is to put together.
If you want to spice up a weeknight meal, but really don't have time for anything too complicated, this Easy Rice and Okra will save the day.
- Rice. It's best to use white or brown basmati rice. Other long-grain rice types can be used if you can't find basmati.
- Vegetables. Okra, onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Herbs. Scallions and parsley.
- Spices. Dried Italian herbs, turmeric, and red pepper flakes.
- Liquids. Coconut milk and vegetable stock. (I use Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Paste and water instead of vegetable stock.)
How to Make This Rice and Okra
1. Saute the onions with olive oil for a few minutes over medium heat. Then add the bell pepper and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
2. Add the scallions, parsley, dried herbs, turmeric, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute, mixing to incorporate.
3. At this point, add the basmati rice and cook it for 2 minutes.
4. Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock. Bring it to a boil and then add the okra on top. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Open the lid, stir (add salt, if needed), cover again, and then cook for 5 more minutes. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
About Vegetable Stock
You'll notice in the video that I am using vegetable stock paste and water. I buy this Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Paste and it's absolutely the best. It contains salt, which is why I am not using any in this recipe. You can use store-bought or homemade vegetable stock instead. If you don't have it on hand, water can also be used.
Helpful Tips & Tricks
Use the right rice. Basmati works best for this recipe. Other long-grain rice varieties can also be used, but not medium or short-grain rice. This is because they would get stuck together as they cooked.
Don't stir too often. Once you add the liquids to the rice, don't stir it. Make sure you are using low heat and a tight lid. Open the lid once after 15 minutes, stir gently, cover with the lid again, and cook for another five minutes.
Let it rest. Once the dish is ready, it might be tempting to start eating. But allowing this dish to rest will result in fluffier rice and will ensure the rice is properly cooked.
You can also add some extra vegetables to this tasty Okra and Rice:
- Corn kernels. You can use canned, frozen, or fresh.
- Beans. Use ones that are already cooked.
- Butternut squash. Cut it into very small cubes and add it in at the same time as the okra.
- Zucchini. Cut this into large pieces.
- Asparagus. You can add it whole or cut it into smaller pieces.
- Spinach. Add this ingredient during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
You can also substitute coconut milk with Half & Half, or skip the milk altogether.
How to Store and Reheat
This Easy Rice and Okra dish can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container. To reheat it, you can place it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in the microwave, or you can place it back in the pot with a little extra coconut milk or water, and heat it on the stovetop.
This recipe is so easy to make and very filling. If you have leftovers, it can even be used for lunch the next day. I hope you and your family will enjoy this tasty vegetarian/vegan meal as much as mine does.
More Tasty Recipes to Try:
- Baked Okra
- Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
- Rice and Beans
- Greek Spinach Rice
- Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes
Easy Rice and Okra
- Saute the onions with olive oil for a few minutes over medium heat. Then add the bell pepper and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the scallions, parsley, dried herbs, turmeric, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute, mixing to incorporate.
- At this point, add the basmati rice and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock. Bring it to a boil and then add the okra on top. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Open the lid, stir (add salt, if needed), cover again, and then cook for 5 more minutes. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.