Crispy Fried Tofu
This Fried Tofu recipe is super simple, versatile, and it tastes fantastic! Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, it makes a perfect addition to any meal.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu (preferably organic)
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning or to taste
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 4 tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 tbsp. olive oil or other kind
Drain the liquid from the tofu package and dry the tofu with paper towels. Cut into about 1-inch slices.
Put the slices onto 2-3 paper towels and season them with Cajun seasoning and salt. Flip and season again.
Place 2 more paper towels on top of the tofu slices and press gently with your hands. This way, you’ll remove any excess moisture and press the seasonings into the tofu.
Cut the tofu into cubes and place on a large plate. Add the cornstarch and gently stir to coat (I like using my hands to do this).
Heat the oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the tofu and cook 2-3 minutes per side, until golden and crispy.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Squeeze the liquid from the tofu. Wrap the tofu block with paper towels and press gently until the excess liquid gets absorbed by the towels.
- Use a non-stick pan. A cast iron pan can also be used, but make sure it is thoroughly heated before adding the tofu. Non-stick skillets work best because they never fail.
- Don’t fiddle. Let the tofu get golden and crispy before flipping it over. Be patient.
- Adjust seasonings. You can also use other seasonings instead of Cajun. Old Bay, Fajita, and Chicken seasonings would work as well.
- Work in batches, if needed. If your skillet is not large enough to fit all of the tofu, just fry it in two batches. Don’t overcrowd the skillet because the tofu pieces can get stuck together and not cook properly. My skillet is 13 inches in diameter and I am able to fry in one batch.
Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 483mg | Potassium: 28mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 605IU | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 1.7mg