The Best Fried Cabbage
This Fried Cabbage recipe is insanely good! Made with bacon, onion, bell pepper, and a touch of hot sauce, it is easy to make, simple, and comes out perfect every time!
- 3 pork bacon strips thick-cut
- 1 medium cabbage head about 3 lbs., roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- ⅓ cup of water
- ¼ tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large non-stick skillet, sauté the bacon, bell pepper, and onion over medium heat for 7 minutes.
Add the red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, and stir well.
Add the water and chopped cabbage to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 20-25 minutes, or until the water evaporates.*
Once the water evaporates, keep frying the cabbage for about 10 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the hot sauce. Serve.
* Some cabbage varieties cook faster than others. Adjust the cooking time, if necessary. If needed, add a little bit more water.
- Use smoked sausage instead of bacon
- Use chicken sausage instead
- Add 1 tablespoon of BBQ Sauce
- Use 1 tablespoon of tomato pasta
About the Bacon
You can use any type of bacon you prefer – regular, turkey or even vegan. Just remember that turkey bacon and vegan bacon are not oily enough, so you’ll need to add additional oil or butter.
Calories: 148kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 265mg | Potassium: 539mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1430IU | Vitamin C: 125.9mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 1.5mg