Eggplant with Tomatoes
If you love delicious and satisfying eggplant in your dishes, then you have to try this Eggplant with Tomatoes. It’s hearty, flavorful, and made with sweet cherry tomatoes and fresh garlic.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced (about 12-16oz.)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. sea salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper or to taste
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 tbsp. chopped dill or parsley
In a non-stick pan, place the diced eggplant and pan fry it until nicely charred and cooked through (no oil necessary). Once it’s cooked, remove it from the skillet and set it aside.
Now add the olive oil and tomatoes to the same skillet. Cook them until the tomatoes are soft and start to fall apart, about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to the tomato sauce and stir. Cook the sauce for about 3-4 minutes, breaking the tomatoes in the process.
Finally, add the eggplant back in along with the fresh dill. Stir and cook until everything is hot. Then serve.
Tips for the best Eggplant with Tomatoes
- Choose good quality eggplant. Look for medium-sized eggplant that are firm, but not hard, and have no soft spots or blemishes. The flesh inside should be white with a slightly green tinge.
- Use sweeter tomatoes. For the best flavor in your Eggplant in Tomato Sauce, use sweeter tomatoes, like the Flavor Bomb cherry tomatoes I chose. As they cook, they release such an incredible taste into the sauce.
- Salt the eggplant beforehand. To get a creamier texture with your eggplant, salt it ahead of time. As it sits, the moisture is drawn out and there is a richer flavor once it’s cooked.
- Cook the tomatoes until they burst. When you’re cooking the tomatoes, wait for them to become soft to the point of bursting. Then break them up, leaving some pieces as added texture in this great sauce.
How to store and reheat it
You can store this Eggplant in Tomato Sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container after it has cooled. It will last for 3-5 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through, and serve.
Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 256mg | Potassium: 488mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 775IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg