Farro Salad with Apple and Arugula
This Farro Salad with Apple and Arugula is full of crisp apples, tender greens, nutty Parmesan, and toasted nuts. The tangy dressing goes perfectly with the delicious grains.
Servings: 4 servings
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp. mustard
- ½ tbsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
For the Salad
- 4 cups arugula or spinach arugula mix
- 2 cups cooked farro, cooled
- 2 small apples, diced
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan
- ⅓ cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
Make the dressing. In a small jar, shake together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper. Set the dressing aside.
Assemble the salad. To a large mixing bowl, add the greens, cooked farro, apples, Parmesan, and toasted walnuts. Pour the dressing on top and mix well.
How to Store it
You can store this salad in the refrigerator, covered, for a day. But you'll find that the apples brown and the arugula becomes soggy as it sits in the dressing. The best thing to do if you want to make this ahead is to prepare the dressing and cook the farro, then store them in the fridge. You can assemble the salad when you are ready to serve it.
Tips for the best Farro Salad with Apple and Arugula
- Make the dressing in a jar. This is such an easy and mess-free way to combine salad dressing ingredients. It thoroughly mixes them and can be used for storing extra.
- Choose a crisp apple variety. For this salad, you want an apple that's crisp and juicy. Granny Smith, Gala, Pink Lady, or Honeycrisp all work great.
- Cut the apples right before serving. Even tossed with the dressing, the apple pieces will start to brown when exposed to air, so don't cut them too early.
- Toast the walnuts. If you don't have any toasted, you can easily do it yourself (check out the article above). This will add a rich, earthy flavor and get rid of any bitterness.
Calories: 615kcal | Carbohydrates: 92g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 356mg | Potassium: 499mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 639IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 226mg | Iron: 3mg