Easy Kale and Sausage
This Easy Kale and Sausage is quick to make and has lots of delicious flavor. If you're looking for a healthy and savory side dish to add to your meals, then this tasty recipe is for you.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans
- 8 oz. sausage, sliced
- ½ tsp. sea salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper or to taste
In a large skillet, cook the garlic in olive oil for 1 minute over medium-low heat.
Add the kale and veggie broth, cover with a lid, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the kale softens a bit.
At this point add the sausage, beans, salt, and pepper. Stir, cover with a lid again, and cook for another 10 minutes, adding a bit more veggie broth, if necessary.
Tips for the best Kale and Sausage
- Take off the stems from the kale. Kale can have a bitter taste, but much of that has to do with the stems. Remove as much as you are able to before chopping and cooking.
- Use canned beans to save time. If you want to prep this dish more quickly, opt for canned beans over-dried. Just make sure you drain and rinse the beans before adding them to the skillet.
- Let the kale steam and soften. Give the kale enough time to soften as it steams in the veggie broth. Keeping the lid on will trap the heat, speeding up the process and making it much tastier.
- Adjust the seasoning to your preference. Depending on the salt and seasonings in your veggie broth, not to mention the sausage, you may want to adjust or even skip the salt in this recipe. Whatever fits your tastes.
How to Store and Reheat it
You can store this Easy Kale and Sausage in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 3 days. To reheat it, you can either warm it in the microwave or in a skillet on the stovetop.
Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 859mg | Potassium: 432mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 5709IU | Vitamin C: 69mg | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 4mg