Turkey Cabbage Soup
This Turkey Cabbage Soup is a delicious Asian-inspired dish that will warm you from the inside out. Flavorful and full of tender veggies and turkey, it's savory with just a touch of heat.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tbsp. sriracha
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 small green cabbage, chopped (about 1 ½ lbs.)
- 6 cups vegetable broth or other kind
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- ½ cup chopped scallions or chives
In a medium pot, cook the onion in oil over medium heat, until it just starts to brown (about 5 minutes).
Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for another minute.
Then add the ground turkey and cook, breaking it up into pieces, until just cooked through and starting to turn golden.
At this point, add the soy sauce, sriracha, carrots, cabbage, and veggie broth. Stir, cover with a lid, and cook for about 25 minutes.
Lastly, add in sesame oil and chives. Stir, turn off the heat, and serve.
Variations to this Recipe
- Add different vegetables. This Turkey Cabbage Soup can be enjoyed with other veggies, such as bok choy, mushrooms, spinach, celery, bell peppers, or whatever you have on hand.
- Vary the spice level. If you enjoy a spicier soup, add extra sriracha or some chili oil. But if you like it more savory than spicy, try decreasing the sriracha or skipping it altogether. Whatever you prefer.
- Substitute different meats. This soup can be made with sausage, ground beef, chicken, or small meatballs. Just keep the meat you choose cut to a smaller size.
- Make this dish vegetarian/vegan. Instead of turkey, you can use tofu, lentils, beans, or tempeh for the protein. Any of these will work with the flavors of the other ingredients.
How to Store and Reheat it
You can store this Turkey Cabbage Soup in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days. If you made extra, you can also freeze it in a freezer ziplock bag. Just lay it flat to freeze, then store it upright to save room. It will last for 4-6 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 798mg | Potassium: 798mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5302IU | Vitamin C: 70mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 2mg