Spaghetti with Olive Oil and Garlic
This Spaghetti with Olive Oil and Garlic is full of flavor, with just a hint of heat. You'll love the way the garlic and herbs come together in this delicious pasta dish.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced very thinly
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped optional
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Then add salt and put in the pasta. Stir well.
In the meantime, combine the garlic and olive oil in a cold skillet and bring them to a gentle simmer. Cook them for about 6-7 minutes, until the garlic has softened and just started to brown.
At this point, add about ½ cup of pasta water to stop the garlic from cooking further.
Drain your spaghetti and add it to the skillet. Add the parsley, basil, and Parmesan. Then stir everything together nicely. If the sauce looks a bit too dry, add in another ¼ cup of the starchy pasta water.
Serve this pasta garnished with freshly grated black pepper, chili flakes, fresh herbs, and/or Parmesan on top.
- Make sure all your ingredients are ready before you start. Because you'll be making the garlic oil while the pasta is cooking, it's important to have all your ingredients out and ready. Lay out what you need, slice the garlic cloves, and have everything set before you start boiling the spaghetti.
- Do not let the garlic burn. Burnt garlic doesn't smell or taste good, so keep an eye as the cloves are cooking. They should be turning a light golden brown, but if that happens before the pasta is ready, add in the pasta water and then take the pan off the heat until the pasta is done.
- Don’t forget the salt in the pasta water! The only way to really season pasta is through the water it absorbs, so make sure you don't forget to add salt to the water. It should be a generous amount, making your pasta water taste like the ocean. This will give the spaghetti great flavor.
Calories: 688kcal | Carbohydrates: 88g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 334mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 878IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 338mg | Iron: 2mg