These Veggie Egg Cups are absolutely scrumptious, and so convenient. They make the perfect on-the-go meal, too.
This Veggie Egg Cup recipe is great for a quick and easy meal on those busy weekday mornings when getting breakfast ready is a challenge. Made with eggs, feta cheese, Brioche, and delicious veggies and herbs, these Veggie Egg Cups will please everyone in the family.
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Studies have shown that eating breakfast improves health and helps manage weight. It has been linked to lower levels of LDL cholesterol (the bad one), and a lower risk of diabetes and heart disease. It’s also one of the tastiest meals of the day, so missing it would be a real shame. 🙂
- Mini Brioche buns. Other buns can be used.
- Tomatoes. I prefer cherry because they are sweeter.
- Peppers. Any color is fine.
- Feta. Other cheeses could be used, but feta is best.
- Herbs. I prefer dill in this recipe, but other herbs can be used.
- Seasonings. Salt and pepper.
How to Make Veggie Egg Cups
1. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a fork and then add the peppers, tomatoes, feta cheese, dill, salt, and pepper. Fold ingredients in until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
2. Cut the Brioche buns in half. For each half, scoop out the center until the bun resembles a small cup. Pinch the sides and press firmly on the center to avoid loose crumbs. Place each cup on a non-stick baking pan.
3. Add the egg mixture to the buns using a ladle. The buns will absorb some, so you may have to come back and add some more to fill them to the top.
4. Leaving the pan uncovered, bake the veggie egg cups for 10 minutes at 350ºF, just so the eggs set.
5. Place foil on top and bake for 15 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Helpful Tips & Tricks
Foil. The reason we don’t place foil over the egg cups in the beginning is because the egg mixture would stick to it. We add the foil later because this will allow the veggie cups to fully cook without the bread burning.
Feta Cheese. Good quality feta cheese makes a difference. Using high-quality cheese means better flavor and texture.
Brioche. This French bread is perfect for this application because it has a high butter and egg content that makes it rich and tender.
- Veggies. You can replace or add many other veggies in this recipe, according to your preference, such as chopped mushroom, shredded carrot, spinach, onion, etc.
- Meat. Meat can also be added, such as bacon, sausage, ham, etc.
- Cheese. Any cheese that melts can be put on top (in this case, the foil needs to be adjusted so that it doesn’t touch the egg cups).
How to Store and Reheat
To store these Veggie Egg Cups, place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat them, just place them on a microwave-safe plate and heat for about 20-30 seconds.
These can also be used for meal prep. All you have to do is wrap them individually in plastic wrap once they are cool, and then place them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. They can be stored there for up to 3 months.
These Veggie Egg Cups are a versatile and easy meal that your whole family will love. If your kids aren’t big fans of vegetables, this is a good way to include some in their breakfast. These are so flavorful and colorful, kids love them.
Breakfast is a chance to spend some time with family before the start of the day. These Veggie Egg Cups are a great way to make a healthy, balanced meal in minutes, and let you relax a little, even on busy mornings. And for those really hectic days, these can be easily eaten on the way to work or school.
I hope you’ll try this recipe and enjoy it as much as my family does. I’d love to hear what you thought. Post your pictures on Instagram and remember to add #Cooktoria.
I encourage you to try these tasty Sous Vide Egg Bites by Sunkissed Kitchen.
More delicious breakfast recipes:
- Breakfast Broccoli Bake
- Zucchini Egg Muffin Cups
- Scrambled Egg Toast
- Parmesan Mashed Potato Cakes
- Ultimate Breakfast Skillet
Veggie Egg Cups
- 4 mini Brioche buns
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup diced bell pepper
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 2 tbsp. chopped dill
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a fork and then add the peppers, tomatoes, feta cheese, dill, salt, and pepper. Fold ingredients in until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Cut the brioche buns in half. For each half, scoop out the center until the bun resembles a small cup. Pinch the sides and press firmly on the center to avoid loose crumbs. Place each cup on a non-stick baking pan.
- Add the egg mixture to the buns using a ladle. The buns will absorb some, so you may have to come back and add some more to fill them to the top.
- Leaving the pan uncovered, bake the veggie egg cups for 10 minutes at 350ºF, just so the eggs set.
- Place foil on top and bake for 15 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Robin Johnson says
Can you freeze them once they are cooked?
Tania Sheff says
Hi Robin! Although I have never tried freezing these, I think they should freeze well. Let me know if you try them! Happy cooking!