Simple, healthy, and easy to make, this Vegan Potato Salad makes a great and refreshing lunch or dinner. Packed with fresh herbs, this salad is mayo-free.
I think you’re going to love this vegan potato salad. It pairs perfectly with barbecues, picnics, potlucks, and basically every other summer event I can imagine. Try it once and you’ll want to make it again and again.
This recipe comes from Bulgarian cuisine. My mother-in-law gave me a book of traditional Bulgarian dishes, and this simple potato salad was one of the first dishes I tried. My family loved it, and I am so happy we added this healthy dish to our rotation.
Let's take a moment and discuss the main ingredient.
Potato Salad Video Tutorial
What Potatoes are Best for Potato Salad
It is very important to use waxy potatoes when making potato salads. They hold shape nicely and don’t make a mush when you try to mix them with the rest of the ingredients. Red Bliss potatoes are the best choice, and also very easy to find. Some other waxy potato types include: Fingerling, Carola, Inca Gold, Rose Gold, and Purple Viking.
Read more: A Guide To Every Type Of Potato You Need To Know
- Potatoes. Keep the skin on, or peel it.
- Onion. Fresh onion adds a lot of flavor, so don’t skip it. You can use red, yellow, or white onion. If you don’t like raw onions, you can use scallions instead.
- Herbs. The combination of fresh dill and parsley works really well. You can also add some cilantro, if you have it on hand.
- Oil. You may choose the oil based on personal preference. I love unrefined sunflower oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, and grapeseed oil.
- Lemon Juice. White or apple cider vinegar can be used instead.
How to Make Potato Salad
1. Wash the red potatoes thoroughly. Put them in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Salt the water generously. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool the potatoes.* Alternatively, use Instant Pot Boiled Potatoes.
2. Peel the potatoes (optional) and cut them into bite-sized cubes. Slice the onion into very thin slices, then quarter them. Place the vegetables in a mixing bowl.
3. Add the herbs, oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the bowl, and mix everything well.
4. Refrigerate, or serve immediately.
Tips for Making Vegan Potato Salad
Boiling your potatoes just right is very important. When ready, potatoes should be easily pierced with a knife, but not so much that they fall apart when pierced.
Adding salt to the water in which you cook the potatoes is an effective way of enhancing the flavor of the finished product.
Cool the potatoes before adding the fresh herbs and seasonings. If the potatoes are too hot, your herbs will lose color and nutrients.
Customize to your liking! If you’d like to spice things up, you can add ½ tablespoon of whole grain mustard. Another option is to add 1 cup of chopped pickles (they pair really well with this salad).
How to Make this Salad Ahead of Time
You can boil the potatoes and keep them in the fridge for up to two days, until you’re ready to make the salad.
Another option is to boil and cut the potatoes beforehand. Place the potatoes and sliced onion into a bowl and cover with a tight lid or saran wrap. Just add the rest of the ingredients when you’re ready to serve.
More vegan potato recipes:
Potato is the most filling and versatile vegetable! Don’t miss these simple and yummy recipes.
Vegan Potato Salad
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 lbs.) red skinned potatoes work best
- ½ medium onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Wash the red potatoes thoroughly. Put them in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Salt the water generously. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool the potatoes.*
- Peel the potatoes (optional) and cut them into bite-sized cubes. Slice the onion into very thin slices, then quarter them. Place the vegetables in a mixing bowl.
- Add the herbs, oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the bowl, and mix everything well.
- Refrigerate, or serve immediately.
Made it last night and loved it. Leftovers are good, too. Thanks!
Tania Sheff says
Great! Thank you for sharing, Joanna!
This salad was really easy to make and my family loved it!
Tania Sheff says
Thank you! I am really glad you liked it, Jessica!