This is hands down the best fried rice recipe you will find. I have tried many and this one is a winner by far. And I have more good news! It only takes 20 minutes to make it! Are you still hesitating? Come on, let’s start cooking…
The veggies I used in this recipe came from a simple “mixed vegetable mix” that you can find in your supermarket’s frozen veggie section. Of course, you may use fresh vegetables too, but I told you that you will have it ready in 20 minutes, so the clock is ticking. 😉
You can use long or short grain rice for this recipe; it’s doesn’t really matter. What DOES matter though is that before you boil the rice, you rinse it. Thoroughly. I am serious here. Just place the rice in a mesh colander and keep the water running through the rice until it’s completely clear. The process of rinsing removes loose starch, making the rice less sticky. I recommend boiling the rice the night before and keeping it in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook.
Serve your fried rice with fresh salad, meatballs, steak, fish, pasta, sushi or chocolate. Wait, what? Sorry, I got carried away. But seriously, it pairs well with everything. Today I served it with roasted eggplant, chicken kebab, tzatziki sauce and some guacamole. IT’S SINFULLY DELICIOUS!
THE BEST FRIED RICE UNDER 20 MINUTES
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 medium-large onion chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions + some extra to garnish
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- In a large frying pan, saute the onion in butter on a medium-high heat until translucent and just starts to brown.
- Add eggs to the onion and cook it through stirring constantly and breaking it into pieces.
- Once the eggs look ready, add the frozen mixed vegetable mix and cook for about 3-4 minutes. After that, add rice, sesame oil, scallions, turmeric and salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes. Enjoy!