Bittersweet coffee, mixed with smooth chocolate, and blended with milk and ice to frozen perfection… That’s right, you can make your favorite Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino at home!
Great news for all Starbucks Frappuccino lovers! Following my simple step-by-step instructions (or video), you can now make your favorite drink at home. Save some money and a trip to Starbucks, and make this scrumptious Mocha Frappuccino yourself. Are you in?
I thought so. 🙂 Before we start blending, let’s discuss the ingredients.
It’s simple. We use instant coffee at Starbucks for frappuccinos. You may buy Starbucks Via Instant Coffee, or use your favorite kind. Frankly, I don’t notice a difference in taste between most common instant coffee brands, so I usually buy the cheapest, like this Nescafe Clasico.
The best milk for making a frappuccino is whole milk. Because the recipe requires a lot of ice, skip the reduced fat or nonfat milk, so your Mocha Frappuccino will be smooth and creamy. You may even want to try using Half & Half, if you are not scared of the extra calories.
If you prefer a dairy-free option, then Vanilla Soy Milk will work well. I have used Sweetened Almond Milk in the past, too.
My favorite ingredient! After trying so many brands, Ghirardelli Chocolate Sauce is my favorite kind. That said, you may use HERSHEY’S or Torani Chocolate Sauce, if they’re easier for you to find, or you happen to have them on hand. Psst… I am planning to try Nutella next time. It should taste great, too!
You probably didn’t expect to see this ingredient here. However, it is a very important one. Xanthan gum is what makes frappuccinos smooth and binds the ice and milk together. Without it, your frappuccino would look like this:
Just so you know, every Starbucks frappuccino has this ingredient. We use “Frappuccino Base” and it’s made out of water, sugar, and xanthan gum. The good news is that it is a harmless food additive. If you’d like to find out more about xanthan gum, please check out this article: What Is Xanthan Gum? Is It Healthy?
The price may seem a bit high, but when you compare the price and the amount used (1/4 tsp. per drink) to the price of a Starbucks Frappuccino, you’ll realize that’s not the case. It’ll cost you about two Mocha Frappuccinos to buy xanthan gum, but you’ll be able to make over 100 of them with only one package.
Once you have all of these ingredients ready, it’s time to do some blending. 🙂 The ingredients below will make two 16 oz. (grande) Mocha Frappuccinos.
MOCHA FRAPPUCCINO INGREDIENTS:
- 3 tbsp. of instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp. of xanthan gum
- 3 tbsp. of water
- 2 cups of ice
- 1 cup of milk
- 6 tbsp. of chocolate sauce
- whipped cream, to garnish
1. Prepare the coffee roast, by mixing the instant coffee with 2 tbsp. of water.
2. Prepare the frappuccino base by mixing the xanthan gum with 1 tbsp. of water. (It’s okay to have lumps. They’ll disappear once blended.)
3. Place the coffee roast, xanthan gum mixture, ice, milk, and chocolate sauce into a blender. Blend on low speed for a few seconds, then on a max speed for about 10 seconds, or until the frappuccino is smooth.
4. Pour into cups and top with whipped cream. You can even drizzle some chocolate sauce on top of the whipped cream, although at Starbucks, we don’t do that. Enjoy!
More Tasty Starbucks Recipes:
- Green Tea Frappuccino
- Caramel Frappuccino
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Starbucks Iced Caramel Macchiato
WATCH HOW TO MAKE MOCHA FRAPPUCCINO
Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino RecipePrint Pin Rate
- Prepare the coffee roast, by mixing the instant coffee with 2 tbsp. of water.
- Prepare the frappuccino base by mixing the xanthan gum with 1 tbsp. of water. (It’s okay to have lumps. They’ll disappear once blended.)
- Place the coffee roast, xanthan gum mixture, ice, milk, and chocolate sauce into a blender. Blend on low speed for a few seconds, then on a max speed for about 10 seconds, or until the frappuccino is smooth.
- Pour into cups and top with whipped cream. You can even drizzle some chocolate sauce on top of the whipped cream, although at Starbucks, we don’t do that. Enjoy!