Prepare the loved-by-everyone Starbucks Iced Caramel Macchiato at home! I'll share the tips and secrets of the coffee shop on how to make this delicious treat.
Slightly sweetened milk on the bottom, ice in the middle, bittersweet espresso on top, and rich caramel sauce all over the cup... Isn't this what you are craving this summer? Get ready to make your very own Iced Caramel Macchiato!
While working at Starbucks, I learned that the #1 most loved espresso drink is the incredible Iced Caramel Macchiato and, today, I am sharing with you how to make this drink at home. The basics are pretty simple. We combine vanilla syrup with cold milk, then add some ice, and fresh espresso and top it all off with buttery caramel sauce. Let's discuss each ingredient.
Starbucks Iced Caramel Macchiato Video Tutorial
What is an Iced Caramel Macchiato?
Iced Caramel Macchiato is one of the most popular espresso-based Starbucks drinks. It is usually the #1 Best Seller during the summer months. It is made with vanilla syrup (for a touch of sweetness), ice, milk, espresso, and creamy caramel sauce, that is drizzled on the top.
You can purchase vanilla syrup in a large supermarket, or on Amazon. They even sell Starbucks Vanilla Syrup on Amazon, so that would be your best option to achieve a very authentic Starbucks taste. However, I don't recommend buying the whole bottle if you are not planning on making Iced or Hot Caramel Macchiatos regularly. If you are just making it once, use homemade simple syrup instead, or, I also like using a little agave syrup (Yum!). Torani vanilla syrup is also an option.
At Starbucks, we usually use 2% reduced-fat milk, but you may choose to use whole milk, non-fat milk, almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, or vanilla soy milk. If you use vanilla soy milk, you may skip the vanilla syrup altogether.
I always recommend using a macchinetta to prepare THE BEST TASTING espresso. It is a very convenient and cheap option that guarantees great results. You can shop around and find a macchinetta for as low as $7, but I am secretly dreaming about this beauty: Bialetti Moka Express 3-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker. Here is a useful video demonstrating how to make espresso using macchinetta:
How to Make EspressoHow to make espresso using Moka Maker
If you'd like to find out a little more about espresso and what kind of coffee beans are best, check out my Hot Caramel Macchiato recipe.
While it is possible to find Starbucks caramel syrup on eBay and sometimes in-stores, I found that this Ghirardelli Caramel Sauce is really wonderful, so I always purchase this kind.
How to make an Iced Caramel Macchiato
1. Add vanilla syrup to the cup. (2 tsp - 12oz cup, 3 tsp - 16oz cup, 4 tsp - 20oz cup). Of course, you can adjust the sweetness to your liking.
2. Add milk over the syrup (approx. halfway).
3. Add ice, reserving room for espresso.
4. Add espresso (1oz - 12oz cup, 2oz - 16oz cup, 3oz - 20oz cup).
5. Drizzle with caramel sauce on top and enjoy!
FAQs about Iced Caramel Macchiato
What is the difference between iced caramel macchiato and latte?
Iced Caramel Macchiato has milk and espresso in separate layers (espresso on top and milk on the bottom). It is sweetened with vanilla syrup. Also, ICM has caramel sauce on top. Iced Latte, on the other hand, is made with espresso, milk, and ice mixed together.
Is the iced caramel macchiato sweet?
Yes, it is sweetened with vanilla syrup. This iced coffee has a hint of vanilla and sweet rich caramel sauce so it's definitely sweet.
How many shots are in an iced caramel macchiato?
Depending on the size of the cup. At Starbucks, one shot of espresso is used for tall size, two for a grande size, and three for venti.
Is a latte stronger than a macchiato?
Both drinks have the same amount of espresso, so both are equally strong.
How much caffeine is in an iced caramel macchiato?
There is 75 mg of caffeine in one Starbucks espresso shot. So depending on the size, you'd be getting: 75mg - tall, 150mg - grande, and 225mg - venti size.
Add-ins and substitutions
- Use regular coffee. If you have no espresso, then you can also use brewed coffee, instant coffee, or cold brew concentrate in a pinch.
- Make it hot. Steamed milk and espresso with some vanilla extract and your own vanilla syrup or store-bought with some caramel at the bottom of your cup makes a delicious hot beverage.
- Add extra espresso. For a drink with some real kick to it, you can add extra shots of espresso. Just know it will taste less sweet as you add the bitter-flavored shots.
Let me know if you have any questions about this Iced Caramel Macchiato. I'll be happy to answer them. Hope you'll enjoy this deliciousness as much as I did!
MORE STARBUCKS RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
- Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino
- Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Starbucks Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
Why do I share Starbucks recipes? Read my Starbucks Journey. 🙂
Copycat Starbucks Iced Caramel Macchiato
- Add vanilla syrup to the cup first, then milk, ice and espresso on top.2 tsp. vanilla syrup, 6 oz. milk, 1 oz espresso, ice
- Drizzle with caramel sauce.caramel sauce to drizzle