This easy to make Spanakopita Quesadilla makes a light, healthy and oh-so-tasty lunch. Give it a try and you’ll love it!
I love spinach. And I love Greek food… I have been craving some Spanakopita (traditional Greek spinach pie) for the last few days, but never really got a chance to go to the supermarket and get some phyllo dough. And then it occurred to me that I had some flour tortillas on hand. And I happened to have some spinach in the refrigerator too…
In less than half an hour I was enjoying a delicious spinach quesadilla with a Greek twist. Of course, I shared with Stan. 🙂 We both loved it.
Greek cuisine is wonderful. Although I have never been to Greece, I have tried A LOT of what their cuisine has to offer, here, in the US. You probably have too… Gyros, bakhlava, stuffed grape leaves (dolmades), and souvlaki with tzatziki just make my head spin… And the recipe for Greek Chicken-Lemon Soup is coming soon on Cooktoria — It’s one of the best soups!
When buying feta cheese, try to find the kind that is sold as a block, not the crumbled kind. The difference in taste is quite significant. I have a post about feta cheese that includes buying tips. Feel free to check it out. 🙂 Or, follow this Amazon link to buy Sheep’s Milk White Feta Cheese that I recommend.
So, I encourage you to try these crispy, Greek inspired quesadillas stuffed with creamy spinach. And, hey — Here is an idea: put on some Greek music on YouTube while cooking and while eating! Why not? It’s very good.
- 4 flour tortillas about 7 inches in diameter
- 1/4 white onion diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 7 cups spinach chopped
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- Saute the onion in olive oil and butter on medium heat, for about 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and spinach and saute for another 3-4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer spinach onto the plate, and place in a cold place for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the egg mixture by whisking the rest of the ingredients together.
- Now, it's time to remove extra liquid from spinach. Simply take a handful of spinach, and try to squeeze the juices out with your hands. Transfer dry spinach into another bowl.
- Add egg mixture to the spinach. Stir. Divide the filling into 4 parts. Spread 1/4 of the filling onto a half of tortilla and fold the other half over. Fry on ungreased frying pan, on low heat for 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with yogurt, tzatziki sauce or sour cream.