Are you in a mood for a bowl of hearty meal? I hope your answer is yes. This awesome sauteed cabbage recipe is all you need on those cold, rainy days. Plus, it’s easy to make.
This recipe comes from… wait for it…. my husband Stan, who’s cooked probably 5 times since we’ve been together. And it was always pasta. So, about a year ago, when he took the initiative to cook cabbage, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Boy, it turned out to be sooo good! I think we ate almost the whole pot of cabbage that evening. Ever since then, I use this recipe, and it never fails.
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 lb beef chuck cubed (may use pork or lamb)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 medium tomato pureed
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 cup water
- to taste salt and pepper
- to garnish cilantro or parsley
- Warm up large saute pan on medium-high heat. Add olive oil and cubed beef. Fry for 5-7 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, slice the cabbage into thin strips, just like you would for coleslaw.
- Add cabbage to the meat. Sprinkle paprika on top. Stir, and saute for another five minutes.
- Add tomato, ketchup, water, some salt and pepper. Stir everything together. Reduce heat to low, and cover with tight lid.
- Cook stirring every 30 minutes for about 1 hour and a half or 2 hours, depending on how soft and tender the meat is. (Usually pork gets soft faster than beef).
- Taste and adjust for seasonings. Garnish with parsley.