Salmon Burgers just got healthier! Make these on a grill or stovetop, ditch the bun, and serve with mouthwatering Avocado Salsa. This tasty and easy Salmon Burger recipe is not to be missed!
When my husband tried this Salmon Burger recipe for the first time, he said, “Oh, wow!” And that’s the perfect way to describe it. Flavorful, healthy, and fresh, these cute little salmon burgers are a MUST TRY this summer.
And did I mention the Avocado Salsa? It works so well in this recipe and makes it even healthier. Now that I’ve made you crave these Salmon Burgers, it’s time to get to the recipe details.
Where to cook Salmon Burgers
You can cook these Salmon Burgers on the stove, using a non-stick grill skillet, or on the outdoor grill for that extra smoky flavor. I have a Neoflam 11-Inch Eela Grill Pan, and it is the best skillet for stovetop grilling. The food NEVER sticks to the pan, and it’s so easy to clean. I usually cook these salmon burgers indoors because I live in an apartment building and barbecuing on the balcony is prohibited. Oh well…
If you are grilling these burgers on the outdoor grill, I would strongly suggest using a non-stick grill mat to avoid sticking.
Make Your Own Breadcrumbs
I always prefer to use fresh breadcrumbs over Panko. I believe they add much better texture and flavor. To make a cup of fresh breadcrumbs, just place 4 slices of slightly stale (or frozen) bread in a food processor and process until breadcrumbs form. Italian or regular white bread will work the best for this recipe.
The ingredients are simple, and other than the fish, you probably already have the rest of the ingredients on hand.
How to make Salmon Burgers:
1. Chop the salmon fillet into small pieces (about 1/4 inch) and transfer them into a medium mixing bowl. (Check how to remove the salmon skin in 3 easy step here).
2. Gently stir in the rest of the ingredients. Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes.
3. Heat a little oil in a large, non-stick grill pan over medium heat. Divide the salmon mixture into 6 portions and form neat patties (I used a 1/2 cup as a measure). Fry/grill the patties until browned on both sides and just cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side.
What to Serve with Salmon Burgers
Serve these salmon burgers on a hamburger bun, on top of a salad, in a lettuce wrap, or simply as is.
Lastly, I suggest you don’t skip the Avocado Salsa. It is SO TASTY and it pairs very well with these Salmon Burgers. Even if you choose to serve these burgers on a bun, serve the salsa on the side or smash it slightly with a fork and spread it on the bun as well. Let me know how you enjoyed these tasty Salmon Burgers, friends!
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Heat up the pan. Make sure the oil and the grill pan are nice and hot before adding the patties, to prevent sticking.
- Use a non-stick mat. If you are cooking these salmon burgers on an outdoor grill, use a non-stick grill mat for the best results.
- Chop well. Don’t leave large chunks of salmon when chopping, or your burgers will fall apart. Chop the salmon into very small pieces (as shown above in the process photo for step 3).
- Mixture too wet? This can happen if you use extra large eggs. You can add 1/4 cup more breadcrumbs, or leave it as is. Once you cook the burgers, the eggs will also cook and hold the burger together.
- Breadcrumb substitutes? Use quick oats, cooked bulgur, or cooked quinoa.
I bet you'll love these too:
Salmon Burgers with Avocado Salsa
- 1 lb salmon fillet (skin removed)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (see note)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- olive oil for greasing the pan or grill
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Chop the salmon fillet into small pieces (about 1/4 inch) and transfer it into a medium mixing bowl.
- Gently stir in the rest of the ingredients. Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a little oil in a large non-stick grill pan over medium heat. Divide the salmon mixture into 6 and form neat patties (I used a 1/2 cup as a measure). Fry/grill the patties until browned on both sides and just cooked through; about 4 minutes on each side.
- Combine all the salsa ingredients together and mix well.