I recently discovered strawberry tomatoes at a local market. I had tried plum and cherry tomatoes before, but strawberry… No, I don’t think so. It’s always interesting to taste something new. I have tried A LOT of new veggies and fruits here in America. Bok choy, okra, silk squash, fuzzy melon, bread fruit, jack fruit and the list goes on. Some I liked more than others. Bok choy and okra are among my favorites. How about you, friends? Do you like trying new things?
Since I was excited about my new discovery, I decided to do something special with these delicious, red guys. I love roasting all kinds of vegetables. It brings out so much flavor and sweetness! So it didn’t take long to come up with the idea for this amazing salad. Again, with a touch of Italy…
ROASTED TOMATO SALAD
- 14 strawberry tomatos cherry or plum tomatoes will work too
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- to garnish olive oil optional
- to garnish balsamic vinegar optional
- Cut tomatoes in half. Mix with olive oil, garlic, Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven at 375F for 20-25 minutes, depending on the size. Once roasted, let the tomatoes cool off slightly.
- Arrange mozzarella slices on plates. Place 7 tomato halves on each slice. Sprinkle with a few drops of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.