This is THE ONLY Rice and Beans recipe you'll ever need! Made with simple ingredients, this dish is filling and very tasty.
I’ve tried so many variations of Rice and Beans, and this one is definitely the winner! It makes an amazing side dish or a satisfying meal. I honestly can’t wait for you to try it!
I make this hearty Rice and Beans on a weekly basis, and my heart tells me so will you. 🙂 Let’s not lose any time and get straight to the basics.
Red Rice and Beans Video Tutorial
What kind of rice is best for Rice and Beans?
It is best to use long-grain white or brown rice in this recipe. I personally use Organic Brown Rice because I enjoy the flavor, and it is healthier as well. White Jasmine rice and Basmati would work really well, too. Whichever rice you choose, read the suggested cooking time and water-to-rice ratio, and adjust this recipe accordingly.
Love beans? Try this Mexican Pinto Beans recipe.
About the Beans
I use organic black beans and I suggest you follow my lead. Kidney beans can also be used instead. You can buy canned beans or cook them yourself. If you buy canned black beans, don’t forget to rinse them before adding them to the pot. If you decide to cook the black beans yourself, follow these handy instructions: How To Cook Black Beans.
- Vegetable Broth. I use fully seasoned vegetable broth. If you use low-sodium broth or water instead, you may need to add some salt & pepper.
- Ground Cumin. This can be found in most grocery stores and online.
- Red Pepper Flakes. Adjust the quantity to suit your taste buds.
- Diced Tomatoes. I recommend using organic, canned diced tomatoes.
How to make Rice and Beans
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or skillet, sauté the onion in olive oil for about 3-5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Cook for a minute.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and keep cooking, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
4. At this point, add the rice and veggie broth. Stir everything well and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight lid, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 45 minutes,* or until the rice is cooked through.
5. Stir in the black beans and cilantro. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Serve.
* Cooking time may vary depending on the kind of rice used. Follow the instructions on the rice package to get an accurate cooking time.
Is Rice and Beans Healthy?
It depends on the ingredients used. If you use organic ingredients and brown rice instead of white, this dish will be a perfect fit in your healthy diet.
Is this Red Rice and Beans Recipe Vegan?
Yes! This recipe is suitable for vegans.
Can you Freeze Rice and Beans?
Yes! It’s a good idea to freeze the rice in portions that you would normally use for one or two meals. I freeze my rice in in reusable plastic containers, to help reduce plastic waste. Ziplock bags work, too.
What to Serve with Rice and Beans?
This recipe makes a very versatile and tasty side dish. You can serve it with:
- Fresh Salad. Make your favorite salad! These are some of my favorites: Tomato Avocado Salad, Tomato Feta Salad,
Skinny Cabbage Salad, Creamy Cucumber Salad.
- Chicken. Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast, Cabbage and Chicken,
Easy Chicken Kebabs, Creamy Chicken Thighs.
- Seafood. Shrimp and Vegetables, Salmon Patties, Cajun Salmon,
Healthy Cod Fish Skillet.
- Grilled or Pan-Cooked Vegetables. Asparagus, zucchini, mushrooms, eggplants, etc. Try my Oven Roasted Vegetables, Zucchini Sauce, or Mushroom Sauce.
- Tofu. Try these Chipotle Sofritas or Crispy Fried Tofu.
- I also love to enjoy it as it, simply topped with crumbled feta cheese.
Red Rice and Beans
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes or to taste
- 14.5 oz. 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 16 oz. 1 can black beans, rinsed
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or skillet, sauté the onion in olive oil for about 3-5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Cook for a minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and keep cooking, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- At this point, add the rice and veggie broth. Stir everything well and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight lid, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 45 minutes,* or until the rice is cooked through.
- Stir in the black beans and cilantro. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Serve.
Love this! I didn’t have diced tomatoes on hand so I subbed with crushed tomatoes, I also subbed cilantro paste for the real stuff. I added a can of pinto beans on top of the can of black beans too because I love beans lmao. Turned our great! Thank you for sharing!
Tania Sheff says
Thank you so much, Ivy!
Can't wait try it❤️
Tania Sheff says
Can't wait for the feedback! 😉
Mary Jo says
I added ground beef and a jalapeño and a couple of other things. Delicious!
Patricia Jawort says
Can this be made ahead of time and warmed in the microwave? Want to take camping.
Tania Sheff says
Hi Patricia! Yes, this recipe would be a perfect fit for camping. Have fun on the trip!
I tryed this today I thought it was lacking flavor I will try agsin with different spices thanks for sharing
Tania Sheff says
Hi Dawn! Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry about your experience. Not sure what went wrong there, since this dish comes out always full of flavor for me. Maybe try adding some of your favorite spices next time? Best wishes!