Make these adorable and delicious Easy Spanakopita Bites and surprise your guests and family with a new twist on a traditional Greek dish.
Everybody knows about traditional Greek spinach pie called Spanakopita. And more importantly, everybody loves it. Creamy spinach mixed with feta and Parmesan Cheese and baked to perfection in crispy fillo shells… I am drooling already.
I’ve always been a huge fan of Spanakopita. I order it every time I visit Greek restaurants, and sometimes I order an extra slice to go. About two years ago, I made my first Spanakopita, it turned out as tasty as the one from the restaurant and SO EASY to make. Since then, I have cooked it pretty often. I created this Spanakopita Quesadilla recipe, which my readers really love, and today, I introduce these Easy Spanakopita Bites!
In this recipe I am using Athens Mini Fillo Shells, which can be found in most major supermarkets in the frozen foods section. You may also buy them online if it’s more convenient for you. Once you have all the ingredients on hand, it’s time to start cooking. You’ll need:
- 1 package Athens Mini Fillo Shells
- 9 cups chopped baby spinach
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
1. Saute the onion in olive oil and butter on medium heat, for about 3-4 minutes.
2. Stir in garlic and spinach and saute about another 5 minutes, until there is no liquid remaining. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Transfer spinach onto the plate, and place in a cold place for a few minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the egg mixture by whisking the rest of the ingredients together.
4. Add spinach to the egg mixture. Stir.
5. Divide the filling between the 15 Fillo shells. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.