So tasty and hearty, this Easy Shepherd’s Pie with Leftover Mashed Potatoes will surely become your family’s favorite!
This truly is one of the dishes you want to make over and over again. Simple ingredients and incredible flavors will make you think about this Easy Shepherd’s Pie every time you have some leftover mashed potatoes.
To make it easier than traditional Shepherd’s Pie, I decided to cook it in one pot from start to finish and just use scoops of the leftover mashed potatoes instead of covering the whole dish. And don’t worry if you don’t have enough mashed potatoes – you can also eat the beef filling with bread. Oh, you are going to love it!
The ingredient list is pretty simple:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen sweet peas
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- about 4 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
- salt and pepper
1. In a large, oven proof skillet, sauté the beef on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, breaking it into pieces.
2. Add the onions, carrots and celery and keep cooking for 10 more minutes.
3. Add salt, pepper, ketchup, dried herbs and 3 1/2 cups of beef broth. Stir, reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
4. Add the peas, stir.
5. In a small dish whisk the flour with the remaining 1/2 cup of beef broth. Add it to the beef, stir and cook for about 3 minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken.
6. Arrange scoops of mashed potatoes on top.
7. Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes.
I usually make fresh garden salad, cut some bread and arrange the dinner table while the Shepherd’s Pie is in the oven. It is a truly delicious and filling dish and now that it has started to cool down outside, this is a perfect time to try it!