So simple, yet unbelievably tasty, these Classic Potato Pancakes are not to be missed! This easy Latke recipe is a staple at my family!
I strongly believe that this is one of those recipes every housewife needs to know. These Classic Potato Pancakes, or Latkes, require just a few common ingredients, and I have never met a person who doesn’t like them. Kids are crazy about these! You can serve them with some sour cream for breakfast or generously cover them with this Creamy Mushroom Sauce to make a scrumptious, vegetarian dinner.
WHAT KIND OF POTATOES ARE BEST FOR POTATO PANCAKES?
I recommend using russet potatoes in this recipe, because they work best, due to the high starch content. If you don’t have russets, you may use Yukon Gold or Katahdin. Check out this Guide To Every Type Of Potato You Need To Know if you’d like to learn more. Traditionally, the potatoes have to be grated, but nowadays, a food processor will do the same job, saving you time and energy. The choice is yours. 🙂
CAN YOU MAKE POTATO PANCAKES AHEAD OF TIME?
Although the best way to enjoy these potato pancakes is right out of frying pan, when they are fresh and oh-so-crispy, you may freeze these successfully. Just fully cook the potato pancakes and then let them cool down completely. Once cold, place them in a single layer onto a baking sheet and freeze for at least 2 hours or until they are hard. Transfer the frozen pancakes to freezer storage bags. When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 450 F. Arrange the frozen latkes on baking sheets, in a single layer and bake for about 15 minutes.
This recipe for Easy Potato Pancakes is one of the first recipes my mom taught me and I use it at least once a month. So you can trust me – these are super tasty! Now that I have convinced you to give these a try, there is only one thing left to say: LET’S START COOKING!
INGREDIENTS FOR POTATO PANCAKES:
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt, pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
1. If using food processor: peel and cube the potatoes and onion. Place the vegetables in food processor and process for about 2 minutes, until potatoes look “grated” and no lumps remain.
If using grater: peel the potatoes and onion and grate.
2. Place the potato mixture into a fine strainer or kitchen towel and try to squeeze almost all of the liquid into a mixing bowl.
3. Discard the liquid. You’ll notice white powder on the bottom of the bowl after you pour the liquid out. It is potato starch and it gives texture to the pancakes, so you should keep it.
4. Return the potato mixture into the bowl and add egg, flour, with some salt and pepper.
5. Mix everything well.
6. Heat up some vegetable oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add a spoonful of potato mixture, spreading it slightly. Fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until the pancakes are crispy and golden brown.
7. Place the pancakes on a paper towel, to absorb the access oil. Serve with sour cream, fresh salad or Easy Mushroom Sauce. ENJOY!!!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE POTATO PANCAKES (LATKES)
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small percentage if you make a purchase using this link.