Try these scrumptious Cabbage Filled Crepes for lunch or dinner and you won’t be disappointed.
Hello there, cabbage lovers! I am so happy you came across this recipe! I’ve always loved savory crepes, but these Cabbage Filled Crepes are my favorite. I suspect they may become your favorite too.
We cook these crepes quite often in Ukraine and sometimes serve it on the side with a bowl of Borscht. I usually enjoy these for lunch with a cup of tea. Cannot wait to hear your favorite way to eat them. Let’s start cooking!
First, you’ll need about six 10″ crepes. Use your favorite recipe to make the crepes—if you use my recipe, just substitute 1 tbsp of honey with 1 tsp of sugar. Once you have the crepes ready, start preparing the filling. You’ll need:
- 8 cups of cabbage, sliced
- 2 tbsp. of butter
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup of ketchup
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped chives
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil for frying
1. In a large non-stick skillet, sauté the cabbage and carrot with butter on medium heat, for 10 minutes.
2. Add tomato, ketchup, salt and pepper. Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (You may need to add 1/4 cup of water if it starts browning too fast).
3. Add chopped chives and stir, adjust for seasonings and set aside.
4. Assemble the crepes by placing the cabbage filling in the middle, and fold following the photo-instructions below.
5. Whisk one egg, and dip the crepes in the egg mixture.
6. Fry in a small amount of vegetable oil until golden brown (about 1-2 minutes per side).
7. Enjoy! Serve these crepes with sour cream if desired.
You may prepare these crepes in advance (skipping steps #5 and #6) and keep them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. When ready to serve, just dip them in egg mixture and fry them up in a little oil. You can serve these hot or cold.