Meaty Portobello Mushrooms stuffed with garlicky breadcrumbs and baked to perfection.
These succulent mushrooms are simply the best! I think I could eat these every day and not get bored. It’s impossible to say NO to warm, flavorful Portobello mushroom stuffed with crunchy, garlicky breadcrumbs. I hope you’ll give this recipe a try. The ingredient list is short and the cooking doesn’t require much effort. Let’s get started!
Start with prepping the mushrooms. Using your fingers, peel the skin off the mushrooms.
Set the mushrooms aside and prepare the stuffing. I’d like to point out that I have always used an Italian loaf in this recipe. However, this time around, I decided to try making these with my favorite rye bread that has nuts and seeds in it. It turned out so great, so feel free to use any bread you have available. You’ll need about 3 slices of slightly stale bread for the breadcrumbs. Just break the bread into pieces and place them in a small electric chopper or food processor. I recently got this amazing Ninja Express Chopper and I cannot say enough good things about it. It is a true helper in the kitchen. I used it to chop the onions and mushroom stems. I also chopped the fresh greens with it and, of course, I made the breadcrumbs with it. Once the stuffing is ready, it is time to top the mushrooms with the breadcrumb mixture.
Bake these at 350F for about 20-25 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and the breadcrumbs are golden. Serve with lemon wedges.
I would like to know how you guys liked this recipe, so don’t forget to share your comments below, or, better yet – snap a quick photo and share it on Instagram. Don’t forget to hashtag them #cooktoria.
Disclaimer: the link in this post for Ninja Express Chopper is Amazon affiliate link.
PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS STUFFED WITH BREADCRUMBS
- 6 medium/large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 heaping cup fresh breadcrumbs (see note)
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup chopped dill
- salt and pepper
- lemon to garnish
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and finely chop. Set aside.
- Using your fingers, remove the skin off the mushrooms. Discard the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a baking tray lined with slightly greased foil or parchment paper.
- To prepare the stuffing, saute the onion in olive oil on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes. Add the reserved chopped mushrooms, saute for another 3 minutes, and add garlic. Cook the garlic for another minute and turn the heat off.
- Break the bread into small pieces and process in a small electric chopper or food processor until breadcrumbs form. Transfer the breadcrumbs into the mixing bowl. Add the sauteed onion, parsley, dill, and a touch of salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Place the mushrooms onto the baking tray and top them with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and the breadcrumbs are golden. Serve with lemon wedges.
Before you go...
Check out these recipes