This Easy Pickled Cabbage is crunchy, tangy, sweet, and seriously addicting. It’s easy to make and ready to eat in about 12 hours.
This light and healthy pickled cabbage recipe is mildly acidic and full of flavor. The cabbage will soften slightly, but retain the crunch that will add texture to any meal. There are so many ways to serve it, and the best part is that you can eat it straight from the jar.
If you have never pickled anything, this pickled cabbage will be the best recipe to start with. All you need is a jar, cabbage, and a few common ingredients to get started. It takes about 12 hours for this salad to pickle, but it’ll stay in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Cabbage. You can buy whole cabbage and slice it yourself, or buy pre-sliced coleslaw mix to save time.
Carrots. Add extra vitamins and a punch of color by including some shredded carrots.
Bell Peppers. This ingredient is optional, although recommended.
Marinade. The marinade is made with water, sugar, salt, vinegar, and olive oil.
How to Make Pickled Cabbage
1. Thinly slice the cabbage and bell pepper. Shred the carrot. Place the vegetables in a large bowl and mix well.
2. Transfer the cabbage mix into a glass jar, packing tightly.
3. In a small saucepan, bring the water, sugar, and salt to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add the vinegar and olive oil. Give it a stir, and pour the marinade into the jar with the cabbage.*
4. Cool completely and transfer it to the fridge. Allow at least 12 hours to pickle. Serve.
* NOTE: At first the liquid will not cover all of the cabbage, but as it starts to soften, it will be fully covered after just a few hours.
How to Store Pickled Cabbage
Store this Pickled Cabbage refrigerated, in a glass jar covered with a lid. It can last for up to one month. I especially like the Kilner 68 oz. jar for pickling and storing this salad.
How to Serve
Serve this healthy and tasty Pickled Cabbage as a salad, or as a side dish to your favorite meals. Add it to:
- sandwiches, wraps
- hot dogs
- grain (Buddha) bowls
FAQs About this Pickled Cabbage Recipe
Can I use red cabbage instead? Absolutely. Both red and green cabbage work really well.
Can I add my own favorite spices to the recipe? Yes. I often add bay leaves, red pepper flakes, black peppercorns, garlic, or rye seeds for additional flavors.
How long does it last? Up to one month, refrigerated.
Is pickled cabbage healthy? Cabbage is a vitamin/nutrient-rich vegetable that makes a perfect addition to any healthy diet. Learn more about cabbage health benefits here: 9 Impressive Health Benefits of Cabbage
More delicious cabbage recipes:
Easy Pickled CabbagePrint Pin Rate
- 1 small cabbage, thinly sliced about 2 lbs.
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium bell pepper any color
- 2 cups water
- 7 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Thinly slice the cabbage and bell pepper. Shred the carrot. Place the vegetables in a large bowl and mix well.
- Transfer the cabbage mix into a glass jar, packing tightly.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, sugar, and salt to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add the vinegar and olive oil. Give it a stir, and pour the marinade into the jar with the cabbage.*
- Cool completely and transfer it to the fridge. Allow at least 12 hours to pickle. Serve.