Delicious and healthy, this Vegetarian Mexican Style Quinoa is filled with bell peppers, beans, corn and topped with cheese and avocado.
No matter if you have a large or a small family, skillet dishes are always the way to go! It takes minutes to create this healthy, satisfying meal that all ages will enjoy. That is why we are having this hearty, vegetarian quinoa with a Mexican twist.
It is T-A-S-T-Y!!!
I am not sure how you feel about quinoa, but I know that a lot of you out there are still not friends with this weird grain. I don't like that for a few reasons:
- Quinoa is famous for being one of the only plant foods that supplies complete proteins, offering all essential amino acids in a healthy balance.
- Quinoa is known to lower cholesterol levels and improve the digestive system and overall health.
- Quinoa is tasty (!!!).
So, if you are not a quinoa-lover yet, I recommend you give it a try, and cook this quick and colorful dish.
Just PREP the veggies, SAUTE the peppers, ADD quinoa and the rest of the ingredients, COOK for a few minutes, and MELT the cheese on top. It's that easy!
If you like spicy food, feel free to add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Also, you may top this dish with some avocado pieces and fresh cilantro leaves. I found it tastes even better this way. I think chopped tomatoes would also serve as a great topping. I encourage you to experiment and have fun with this dish. VIVA QUINOA!
MEXICAN STYLE QUINOA
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/5 cup chopped bell pepper (multicolored)
- 1 cup canned corn kernels
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup mild Elchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- to serve chopped avocado and fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute bell pepper for about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add corn, beans and quinoa to the peppers. Cook , stirring occasionally for a few minutes, and then add the spices, salt and Enchilada sauce. Stir again and taste for the seasonings. Keep cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the quinoa and cover the skillet with tight lid. Reduce heat to low and wait for about 2 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve it with chopped avocado and fresh cilantro leaves on top.
Before you go...
Check out these recipes