Found this recipe on a cold winter evening, reading a book called “Bulgarian meals”, which explains what Bulgarian people eat on different holidays. I got this as a present from Stan’s parents. Although there are still many words I don’t understand in Bulgarian language, I was able to make this soup. It turned out great!
Did you ever get a chance to try any Bulgarian meals? How did you like it? I like most of the things I have tried, and will make sure to post some more recipes in the future.
I still remember my first impression of Bulgarian cuisine, when I had just started dating Stan, I asked him what his favorite Bulgarian soup was. “Tarator” he replied. After asking him how to make this soup, this is the answer I got: “Just mix some plain yogurt with water, add chopped cucumbers and walnuts, a little garlic, dill, olive oil and salt .” Yep, I was thinking exactly what you are thinking at this moment. But, I figured, since so many people enjoy this cold soup, and it’s Stan’s favorite, I should give it a try… And I loved it! Cannot wait to share this one with you too!
Let’s get back to the Lentil Soup we are having today. Easy to make, flavorful and healthy. Nothing else to say. I found out that it tastes even better with a spoonful of sour cream!
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 10 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 medium celery ribs
- 1 large tomato
- 1/8 cup parsley finely chopped
- to taste salt and pepper
- to serve sour cream
- Combine lentils with stock, add bay leaves and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Meanwhile, using a mini food chopper, chop carrot into pretty small pieces and add to the soup. Repeat this process for celery ribs and tomato. If you do not own a food chopper - get one! But seriously, if you do not have one, just chop the veggies with a knife.
- Once soup starts boiling, add salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid, and let it cook for about 45-50 minutes.
- After 50 minutes have passed, turn off the heat, add parsley, and stir. Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a spoonful of sour cream. Enjoy!