I already shared my love for kale soups in one of my earlier posts. It’s no surprise I am cooking kale soup again. Flavorful and creamy, it makes a perfect lunch…
I got introduced to kale a few years ago when I started to watch my diet. It was coming up in so many healthy recipes, but I never knew what it was. I don’t think we have kale in Ukraine, or maybe just not in my part of the country. So, one day I decided to give it a try. I made a salad with kale, dates and apples but wasn’t pleased with the result. Although I liked the flavor combination, the kale was so dry I felt like I was eating shredded paper… Then I decided to make a soup with the kale I had leftover. And that’s where the gold was! Kale tastes the best when cooked. Since then, I’ve tried cooking a variety of soups with kale and they always turn out great.
How about you guys? What’s your favorite way to eat kale?
Another thing I would like to call attention to is the chicken bouillon seasoning mentioned in this recipe. I actually use Vegeta All Purpose Seasoning, which I buy from a European store. It can also be found on Amazon and it is my favorite soup seasoning ever! Since you probably don’t have this particular seasoning on hand, I recommend using any chicken, beef or vegetable seasoning, or just some salt instead. In any case, you won’t be disappointed.
KALE SOUP #2
- 1/2 lb. diced ham
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 large kale leaves chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups milk
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsps chicken flavored bouillon seasoning
- 1 tbsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- Place ham, rice, kale and all the vegetables in a large 5 quart pot. Fill up the pot with clean water leaving 1 1/2 inch of room at the top and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Once the soup starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium, add bay leaves and bouillon seasoning.
- Cook for about 35 minutes and then add lemon pepper, milk and dill. Stir, taste for seasoning and cook for another 5 minutes. Cover with a lid and let it rest for a little.