There have been A LOT of hummus recipes posted, but I feel I should share mine on Cooktoria as well. I make hummus pretty often. It is easy to make, stays well in the refrigerator and it’s yummy. My favorite way to enjoy hummus is when it’s topped with black olives and capers. Have you tried it this way yet?
Here are some other ideas for hummus toppings:
- Roasted peppers + feta
- Toasted pine nuts + paprika
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Chopped herbs (parsley, cilantro, basil) + garlic
You can use regular dried chickpeas for this hummus (just soak them overnight and boil them), or use canned chickpeas instead. Use the liquid from the can or leftover water after you boil the chickpeas to achieve the desired consistency. It usually takes me about 1/2 of a cup of liquid for the proportions mentioned in the recipe to get the perfect consistency. You will also notice that I add some Mrs. Dash seasoning to the hummus. It is not mandatory, but I feel it adds some extra flavor to it.
Serve your hummus with fresh vegetables such as carrots, cucumbers, celery and bell peppers or just add a spoonful on top of some bread to make a delicious sandwich.
HUMMUS WITH OLIVES AND CAPERS
- 15 oz cooked or canned chickpeas (liquid reserved)
- 1/2 cup liquid from the chickpeas (may need a little more or less)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp MRS Dash original blend seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- to taste salt and peper
- 1/2 cup chopped olives your favorite kind
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped capers liquid drained
- to drizzle olive oil
- Place all of the hummus ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Use liquid from the chickpeas to achieve desired consistency.
- Transfer hummus into plate(s) and top with olives and capers. Sprinkle with olive oil.