This Creamy German Cucumber Salad is simple, crunchy, and very tasty. It makes a perfect side to any dish and you’ll want to eat it all summer long.
This refreshing German Cucumber Salad is just perfect for any BBQ party or potluck. This dish is made with crunchy cucumbers and a simple sour cream dressing. Fresh dill is a must in this recipe because it adds so much flavor!
I first tried this salad years ago, when my German co-worker brought it to a party. It was a hit, and everyone really loved it. I loved it, too, so of course, I asked for the recipe. Now, it’s a staple on my family table, especially during the hot summer months.
About German Cucumber Salad
I’d like to point out that this recipe is adapted from the German version. Traditionally, cucumbers are sliced much thinner. I prefer slicing the cucumbers a bit thicker, so they remain crunchy and release less moisture. The dressing is made with sour cream (or yogurt), vinegar, and fresh dill.
What Kind of Cucumbers to Use
Any kind of cucumbers will work here, but if you find that your cucumbers have a lot of seeds inside, I suggest you scrape them out to keep the salad from getting watery. This step is totally optional, and if you’re using smaller cucumbers, it’s not necessary to scrape them. Also, if your cucumbers have waxy skin, I recommend peeling them.
Here is a useful article about waxed cucumbers: How to Get Wax Off a Waxed Cucumber
How to make German Cucumber Salad
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
2. Wash and thinly slice the cucumbers.
3. Add the cucumbers to the bowl with the dressing. Mix everything well. Serve immediately.
Tips and Tricks for Making German Cucumber Salad
- Use fresh and tasty cucumbers. This goes without saying. Cucumbers are the main ingredient here, so make sure they are fresh and crunchy.
- Garlic is optional. While I enjoy a hint of garlic in the dressing, you can skip it, if preferred. You can also add some thinly-sliced onions to this salad.
- Don’t skip the dill. Dill brings a ton of flavor here. You can use fresh or frozen dill. Dried dill won’t work. If you can’t find dill, chives or scallions would be the next best substitution.
How long will this Salad last in the fridge?
I suggest eating it within a couple of hours. It can stay up to 24 hours in the fridge, although the cucumbers will soften and release water. Just drain the water, stir, and enjoy.
Sour Cream Substitute
You can substitute sour cream with plain Greek yogurt. If you would like a dairy-free alternative, just use 1/4 cup of olive oil instead (the rest of the ingredients stay the same).
More Tasty Salad Recipes:
German Cucumber Salad
- 4 medium cucumbers
- 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Wash and thinly slice the cucumbers.
- Add the cucumbers to the bowl with the dressing. Mix everything well. Serve immediately.