This Red Lentil Soup is packed with protein and so delicious. You're going to love how flavorful and satisfying this vegetarian soup is.
Lentil soup is a pureed soup made with vegetables, spices, and red lentils. It has a delicious smoky flavor and a thick texture that makes it very filling. What makes this soup even better is that it's so healthy. It's packed with vitamins and protein but is low in fat and calories. You'll feel great about serving this to your family.
Lentil soup is a favorite during the winter months. Nothing tastes better after a day out in the cold than a warm and filling bowl of this soup. But it's also great during warmer months. Pair it with some crusty bread or alongside a fresh salad, and you have a delicious meal.
Besides being healthy, lentil soup is also easy to make and only takes about half an hour. The ingredients are easy to find in any grocery store and the lentils can stay fresh on your pantry shelf for months. You can even prepare this tasty soup ahead of time for those busy days when you just want to warm something up quick.
Lentils. Red lentils work best in this recipe, although in a pinch you could use other lentils, like green or brown. It's also a good idea to always rinse your lentils before adding them to the soup.
Veggies. Diced carrots and onion, and minced garlic, offer great taste and texture to this soup.
Tomato Paste. This is the base for your lentil soup.
Oil. You can use any oil you prefer, including olive, avocado, or grapeseed oil.
Veggie Broth. You can use homemade or store-bought vegetable broth for this recipe. (I actually use Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Paste and water instead of vegetable stock.) Any one of these options is fine.
Spices. Cumin, paprika, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt (if needed) give the soup its complex and delicious flavors.
To Serve. Fresh herbs, such as dill, parsley, mint, or cilantro, can be used as a garnish. Cream or coconut milk can also be used to add a splash of creaminess, and lemon wedges, if desired, can be served with this soup.
How to Make Lentil Soup
1. In a medium pot, cook the diced carrots and onions in oil for about 4 minutes over medium heat.
2. Add the garlic and spices and then cook for another minute.
3. Now add the tomato paste, rinsed lentils, and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and puree half of the soup with an immersion blender. Or if you do not have an immersion blender, then you can transfer half of the soup to a regular blender, process until smooth, and return the lentil soup to the pot. Stir to combine.
5. Serve this soup hot, sprinkled with fresh herbs and lemon juice or coconut milk.
How to Store this Soup
To Refrigerate: To store this lentil soup in the fridge, place it in a covered container. It will keep for 4 days. Reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
To Freeze: Divide the soup into individual freezer-safe containers. They will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Transfer as much as you want to the refrigerator the night before you wish to eat it.
How to Make This Lentil Soup in the Crock-Pot
This soup will also work well being cooked in a Crock-Pot. Just add all of the ingredients to the crock-pot and cook on low heat until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 6 hours. Then garnish and serve.
I hope you'll enjoy this delicious and nutritious lentil soup. Whether you're spooning it up for dinner on a cold winter's night or making it for a easy summer lunch, this lentil soup recipe is a great way to spice up your meal with healthy protein and veggies. If your kids aren't big lentil fans, then this pureed soup may be a great way to show them how delicious they can be.
More tasty recipes to try:
- Potato Flatbread
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- Easy Puréed Bean Soup
- Easy Rice and Okra
- Cauliflower Steaks
- Ultimate Vegetable Stew
Red Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp. oil olive, grapeseed, or avocado
- 1 medium onion peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 10 oz. red lentils rinsed
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- salt, if needed to taste
- coconut milk and fresh dill or mint to serve
- In a medium pot, cook the diced carrots and onions in oil for about 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and spices and then cook for another minute.
- Now add the tomato paste, rinsed lentils, and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and puree half of the soup with an immersion blender. Or if you do not have an immersion blender, then you can transfer half of the soup to a regular blender, process until smooth, and return the lentil soup to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Serve this soup hot, sprinkled with fresh herbs and lemon juice or coconut milk.