You probably noticed that I don't post many dessert recipes. Yeah, I don't make desserts very often. In fact, I make desserts probably once a month. It is simply because I am trying to avoid having a full cheesecake in my refrigerator or a plate of brownies sitting on my tabletop. I do have cravings for sweets like anybody else, but a piece of chocolate usually satisfies those cravings. If I feel down or go out with friends, I may have a slice of that cheesecake, but it's only one slice and I don't have the rest of that cake sitting in the house calling my name.
This is a habit I have developed since I adopted a healthier lifestyle, and I am very happy I did. That said, I do make desserts once in a while to celebrate something with my husband Stan, or when I am having friends over. I usually make low calorie treats that will satisfy a sweet tooth without doing any damage on thighs. I try to use fresh fruits, grains, nuts and seeds or at least reduce the amount of fat and sugar as much as possible.
COFFEE AND MILK DESSERT
- 1 packet plain unflavored gelatin (1 packet is ¼ oz.)
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup condensed milk
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup sweetened black coffee
- Dissolve plain gelatin in hot water. Let it cool down.
- Meanwhile, prepare black coffee and sweeten it to your liking. (I use brown sugar). Set the coffee aside.
- Mix condensed and whole milk together.
- Add half of the gelatin to the coffee and the other half to the milk mixture and stir it in nicely .
- Add ¼ cup of the milk mixture to the bottom of each dessert cup or ramekin and place them in the refrigerator. Keep the rest of the coffee and milk at room temperature.
- In about an hour or so, the milk in the refrigerator will start to set. (The time depends on the quality of the gelatin). When it has set, add ¼ cup of the coffee gelatin mix to the tops of the cups/ramekins and put them back into the refrigerator. Repeat the same steps to create two more layers of each.
- Garnish with whipped cream or pour some condensed milk on top.