This delicious and healthy Chickpea Carrot Salad Sandwich is a scrumptious blend of seasoned chickpeas and veggies - and it's vegan-friendly, too.
You're not going to believe how tasty this Chickpea Carrot Salad Sandwich is. Made with mashed chickpeas and chopped vegetables, like carrots, tomatoes, scallions, and bell peppers, it got tons of flavor and texture. And the mustard-mayo spread that's mixed in pulls it all together. This salad tastes amazing between two slices of toast (or even on its own!).
Lunchtime can get a little boring, with school and work lunches being made the same way day after day. This Chickpea Carrot Salad Sandwich is a great way to shake up the routine and give you and your family something new and delicious to try. It's a healthier option than a lot of other sandwiches, holds together well without getting soggy, and is very filling. It's also vegan and vegetarian-friendly!
- Chickpeas. You can cook these yourself at home or use the canned ones from the store.
- Carrot. Go with the full-sized carrots for this recipe since they are easier to cut than the baby carrots.
- Bell Pepper. Any color.
- Tomatoes. Cherry or grape tomatoes are best.
- Scallion. Brings in a lot of flavor. You can use other fresh herbs if these aren't available.
- Mayo. Regular or vegan, depending on your diet.
- Mustard. Whichever variety you prefer.
- Salt + pepper.
- Whole grain bread. Or another kind, like rye, white, gluten-free, etc.
How to Make Chickpea Carrot Sandwich
1. Using a fork, mash the chickpeas in a small bowl. Then, add the vegetables in.
2. Add the mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper to the chickpeas and vegetables. Mix thoroughly.
3. Toast two slices of bread and spoon some of the chickpea salad onto one slice. Cover with the second slice and serve.
Helpful Tips & Tricks
Make sure to toast the bread. This step is important because untoasted bread is too soft and porous, and will absorb the moisture from the salad. Toasted bread keeps your sandwich from getting soggy and adds a nice crunch with each bite.
Use fresh greens. If you want to add some extra nutrients and flavors to the sandwich, include some greens, like spinach or kale.
Chop the vegetables evenly. Keep the vegetables a uniform size so that they mix better and allow you to get a taste of everything with each bite.
Make in advance. This salad can be stored for up to two days in the fridge, so make enough for a couple of meals and use it for quick lunchtime prep on those busy weekdays.
How to Serve
As a sandwich. This is my favorite way. Just spread the desired amount of the salad onto toasted bread and enjoy.
As a wrap. You can add more fresh greens and veggies to the wrap, if desired.
On the side of any meal. Use a spoonful of this salad on the side with your favorite meals! It's a tasty addition that brings more protein and vegetables to the plate.
This Chickpea Carrot Salad Sandwich is so easy to make and convenient. If you're ready to try something a little different at lunchtime, then prepare some of this salad and make it your go-to sandwich filling. Your family will love the crunch and texture, not to mention the blend of flavors. And you'll love knowing that they are eating a healthy, protein and vitamin-packed lunch!
More Recipes You'll Love:
- Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- Vegetarian Gyros (made with chickpeas)
- Healthy Chickpea Stew
Chickpea Carrot Salad Sandwich
For the Chickpea Salad
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- ½ medium carrot, shredded
- ½ small bell pepper, diced
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup scallion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. mayo regular or vegan
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Sandwich
- 2 slices wholegrain bread
- Using a fork, mash the chickpeas in a small bowl. Then, add the vegetables in.
- Add the mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper to the chickpeas and vegetables. Mix thoroughly.
- Toast two slices of bread and spoon some of the chickpea salad onto one slice. Cover with the second slice and serve.