This Chicken Breast in Roasted Pepper Sauce is one of the tastiest chicken recipes. EVER. It is ready in 30 minutes!
There are many tasty chicken recipes out there. I know. But this one… Oh boy! If you want to impress your family and guests, this Chicken in Roasted Pepper Sauce recipe is the way to go. The chicken is so tender, and the creamy sauce has ah-mazing flavor.
What I Love the Most About this Chicken Recipe
- It is both quick and high quality.
- It’s easy to sneak in veggies (such as spinach, artichokes, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, etc.).
- The roasted pepper sauce is absolutely heavenly.
- It pairs well with any side dish and can be mixed with pasta.
- It has an amazing color!
For the Chicken:
- Chicken Breast. Other parts of the chicken can be used as well. You may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Seasonings. I used salt and paprika. Cajun seasoning works really well, too.
- Oil. I especially like using avocado or olive oil in this recipe.
For the Sauce:
- Onion + Garlic. We'll saute these with the pan drippings from the fried chicken.
- Veggie Broth. Adding a little bit of veggie or chicken broth helps to deglaze the pan, soften the onions, and brings in some additional flavors. White wine can be used instead.
- Roasted Peppers. We'll chop half of the peppers, and puree the other half in the blender. This way, the sauce will have more texture. Use store-bought jarred roasted peppers or roast the peppers yourself.
- Coconut Milk. You'll need full-fat coconut milk. Heavy cream or Half & Half can be used instead.
- Parmesan. Parmesan cheese adds a lot of flavor and helps to thicken the sauce.
- Spinach. Optional ingredient, but why not add it? You can also add artichoke hearts or tomatoes.
- Red Pepper Flakes. Brings a bit of heat to the sauce.
How to Make Chicken in Roasted Pepper Sauce
1. Puree 6 oz. of roasted pepper in a smoothie cup, or with a hand chopper, until smooth. Chop the remaining 6 oz. of peppers. Set aside.
2. Season the chicken with salt and paprika.
3. Add about 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to a large non-stick skillet. When it’s hot, add the chicken and fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until just cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
4. To the same skillet, add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes and then add the vegetable or chicken broth. Keep cooking until the liquid evaporates and the onions soften nicely.
5. Add the chopped and pureed peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes, until it starts looking thicker, and the roasted peppers sweeten.
6. Reduce the heat to low. Add the coconut milk, Parmesan, and spinach. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer.
7. Return the chicken to the skillet, cover it with the sauce, and simmer for 1 minute. Sprinkle some Parmesan on top. Serve.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
Cooking the chicken through: The trickiest part of this recipe is probably pan-frying the chicken. Depending on the thickness of your chicken breast, you may adjust the cooking time. If your chicken pieces are thick, you’ll want to fry them on low heat for about 7-10 minutes per side. To check if the chicken is cooked through, pierce it with a sharp knife in the thickest part. If the juice runs clear (instead of pink) the chicken is cooked. Here is a helpful article: How to Tell If Your Chicken Is Fully Cooked
Cooking the onions: Make sure your onions are soft and slightly caramelized before adding the roasted peppers. You don’t want to feel hard onions in the sauce. You can add a bit of extra veggie (or chicken) broth, if needed.
Storing and reheating: This dish can stay in the fridge for up to 4 days and it reheats well. Reheat it over low heat on the stovetop. If the sauce feels too thick, just add a little coconut milk, veggie broth, or water.
Freezing: This chicken does not freeze very well. I found that the sauce loses its texture after thawing.
How to Serve this Chicken In Roasted Pepper Sauce
- It tastes fantastic over pasta!
- You can serve it over your favorite grains: rice, quinoa, lentils, etc.
- For a low-carb diet, you can stir in some spiralized zucchini, butternut squash, or beetroot. Cook these “noodles” right in the sauce, until they reach the desired doneness. Useful info: 7 Best Vegetables to Spiralize
- Fresh salad would also make a great side.
This Chicken Recipe is Keto Friendly
I really can't wait for you to try this easy chicken recipe, friend! When I have special guests coming over that I want to impress with my cooking, I often go to this recipe. The creamy roasted pepper sauce is unforgettable! Please, let me know if you do try it, I want to hear what you think!
Have some extra roasted peppers? Try these recipes, also!
- Roasted Pepper Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Salmon in Roasted Pepper Sauce
- Shrimp in Roasted Pepper Sauce
- Tilapia in Roasted Pepper Sauce
Chicken in Roasted Pepper Sauce
- 1 lb. chicken breast about 4 slices (½ inch thick)
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil or olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz. jar of roasted peppers, divided
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk or cream
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 handful spinach
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tsp. paprika or to taste
- ½ tsp. salt or to taste
- Puree 6 oz. of roasted pepper in a smoothie cup, or with a hand chopper, until smooth. Chop the remaining 6 oz. of peppers. Set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt and paprika.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to a large non-stick skillet. When it’s hot, add the chicken and fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until just cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- To the same skillet, add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes and then add the vegetable or chicken broth. Keep cooking until the liquid evaporates and the onions soften nicely.
- Add the chopped and pureed peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes, until it starts looking thicker, and the roasted peppers sweeten.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the coconut milk, Parmesan, and spinach. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, cover it with the sauce, and simmer for 1 minute. Sprinkle some Parmesan on top. Serve.