This simple and easy Chicken Rice Casserole makes an elegant and tasty dinner. Made with onions, carrots, basmati rice, and chicken, you won’t believe how delicious this meal is!
If you are looking for a simple, yet delicious and filling chicken dinner, this Chicken Rice Casserole is just what you need. It is made with simple ingredients and no fuss. While the casserole is in the oven, you can make a quick salad and set the table.
I am so eager for you to try this recipe, friend! Let’s just take a moment and discuss the main ingredients.
I recommend using boneless chicken thighs in this Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe. Dark chicken meat is much more tender and succulent, and that is why it works the best here. That said, you can use chicken breast meat, if that’s what you have on hand.
Basmati rice is definitely THE RICE to use for Chicken Rice Casserole. It cooks fast and is not starchy, so you’ll end up with perfectly flaky rice. I don’t suggest using any other kind of rice in this recipe. The good news is that Basmati rice is sold in almost every grocery store, so it’s not hard to find. Of course, you can buy Basmati Rice from Amazon, and have it delivered right to your door (it’s only $9.59 for a 4 lb. bag!!!).
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THE CHICKEN RICE CASSEROLE
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Basmati rice
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Favorite Chicken Seasoning
- Salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE
1.Preheat the oven to 450 °F.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the chopped onion with olive oil over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add the chicken and season it with salt, pepper, and your favorite chicken seasoning (Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning, Taco Seasoning, Old Bay Seasoning, etc.). Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes.
4. Transfer the chicken to a medium casserole dish and add the rice and chicken broth. Stir well.
5. Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN RICE CASSEROLE
Serve it with:
Salad. Garden and Greek salads are my favorites!
Steamed vegetables. I love adding some steamed asparagus or broccoli on the side.
Cole slaw. Store-bought or homemade. You can’t go wrong with cole slaw!
CHICKEN RICE CASSEROLE FAQ:
How long will it stay in the fridge? Up to 4 days.
Can I freeze it? Yes. Just place the tightly-covered casserole dish (lid or foil) in the freezer once it cools down. When ready to reheat, warm it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350°F.
Can I use different rice? I strongly suggest using Basmati Rice in this recipe. However, you may try substituting for a different long grain rice.
You’ll love these, too:
- Chicken and Yellow Rice Skillet
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Cabbage and Chicken
- Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice)
Chicken Rice Casserole Video Tutorial
CHICKEN RICE CASSEROLE
- 1 lb. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 3 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Onion medium
- 2 Carrots medium
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Favorite Chicken Seasoning* (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. Salt and pepper, to taste** (or to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F.
- In a large skillet, sauté the chopped onion with olive oil over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and season it with salt, pepper, and your favorite chicken seasoning (Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning, Taco Seasoning, Old Bay Seasoning, etc.). Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a medium casserole dish and add the rice and chicken broth. Stir well.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
** Depending on how salty your chicken broth is, you may need more or less salt.