This easy and flavorful Chicken and Yellow Rice Skillet makes a quick and delicious dinner for the whole family. This is a MUST TRY recipe.
This Chicken and Yellow Rice Skillet truly is a restaurant-quality dinner that’s so quick to make and in just one skillet. The rice is fluffy and flavorful, and the chicken is wonderfully tender. You definitely want this in your belly. 🙂
Chicken and Yellow Rice Recipe Video Tutorial
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS CHICKEN AND YELLOW RICE SKILLET
This Chicken and Yellow Rice Skillet is so amazing because it's:
- SIMPLE. The ingredient list is short and simple.
- EASY. Almost no clean-up is required.
- FAST. Made in 35 minutes.
- VERY TASTY. The fluffy, lemon-infused rice, and perfectly seasoned, tender chicken... Yes! It's delicious!
WHAT KIND OF RICE TO USE
I strongly suggest using Basmati rice in this recipe. It is a long-grain, white rice that has a slightly softer grain than Jasmine rice. It absorbs liquid really well and comes out evenly cooked and fluffy every time. Basmati can be found in pretty much all large supermarkets and online.
ABOUT THE CHICKEN
I love using chicken thighs in this Chicken and Yellow Rice recipe, but I have used drumsticks with great success before. I do not recommend chicken breast here because it’ll end up being dry, and we don’t want that.
You can keep or remove the skin from the thighs. I personally enjoy the flavor the skins add to the dish, so I keep them on. If you choose to remove the skins, which is perfectly OK, you may need to add a touch of butter or a bit more oil when frying the chicken, so the rice doesn’t come out too dry.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND YELLOW RICE
1.Mix the seasoning ingredients together, and generously rub them onto the chicken thighs.
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the chicken and sear for about 4-5 minutes on each side.*
3. Remove the chicken from the skillet. Add the rice, turmeric, lemon juice, and chicken stock.**
4. Return the chicken to the skillet, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cover with a tight lid. Cook until the liquid is fully absorbed and the rice is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat, and let in rest with lid on, for another 5 minutes. Serve.
*If you are using large (very thick) chicken thighs, you may need to reduce the heat to medium, and cook them for 7-8 minutes per side, to make sure that the chicken will be fully cooked after being simmered for an additional 20 minutes with the rice.
**You may need to add salt if using low-sodium chicken stock.
Did you make this Chicken and Yellow Rice Skillet?
Please, let me know how you enjoyed it! Share your photos on Instagram with #cooktoria. I am always so happy to see your creations.
Try the baked casserole version of this recipe: Middle Eastern Yellow Rice.
If you like this recipe, check out these other easy chicken dinner ideas:
- Creamy Chicken Thighs
- Quick Three-Cheese Chicken
- Easy Cabbage and Chicken
- Paprika Chicken Legs
- Easy Parmesan-Crusted Chicken
Chicken and Yellow Rice Skillet
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white Basmati rice
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp. turmeric powder
- fresh parsley or scallion, to garnish
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Mix the seasoning ingredients together, and generously rub them onto the chicken thighs.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the chicken and sear for about 4-5 minutes on each side.*
- Remove the chicken from the skillet. Add the rice, turmeric, lemon juice, and chicken stock.**
- Return the chicken to the skillet, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cover with a tight lid. Cook until the liquid is fully absorbed and the rice is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and let in rest with lid on, for another 5 minutes. Serve.
Maggie M says
This was a very simple, delicious meal! I don't have access to Basmati rice where I live, so I used Jasmine instead and it came out perfect! Thank you so much for the recipe, I'll be making it again for sure!
Tania Sheff says
Yay! I am glad you enjoyed it, Maggie!
Oh good! I was wondering myself how it would turn out with jasmine rice, it's all I have. Using this recipe with some drumsticks tonight!
Tania Sheff says
Happy cooking, Candace!
Heather Zuccolo says
Odd questions - is the calories listed for all 4 services or per serving? By the way - LOVE this recipe!
Tania Sheff says
Hi Heather! Thank you for the kind words. The nutrition info is per serving.
Can I make this dish with boneless, skinless chicken thighs? If so, what changes in the cooking instructions?
I thank you for this recipe. Can't wait to try it.
Tania Sheff says
Hi Gina! Yes, you can do that. Just cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, season with the same spice mix as in Step 1, and fry for a few minutes in Step 2. Remove from the skillet, and proceed with the next steps. Happy cooking!