This succulent Cabbage and Chicken is hearty, filling, and so delicious. Just a few ingredients and about 15 minutes of active cooking time make up this amazing dinner. This is my #1 Best Recipe yet!
This recipe has never failed me. It gets “Ooohs” and “Aaahs” from my family and friends every time I make it! This Sautéed Cabbage with Chicken is so flavorful, filling, and healthy that I cannot say enough good things about it. It is a MUST TRY and I hope you won’t skip this recipe.
Sautéed cabbage is a frequent ingredient in Ukrainian cuisine, with fresh cabbage used when it’s in season and pickled cabbage during the winter and spring. We (the Ukrainians) usually cook this dish with bacon, ribs, and pork. I also cook vegetarian cabbage quite often. A couple of years ago, I decided to try it with chicken and it exceeded all my expectations. Since then, I have regular requests for this dish from my husband, but to be honest with you – I love it more than anybody! It is by far my favorite dish in the world and I can eat it every day with a big spoon right out of the cooking pot. 🙂
Chicken with Cabbage Video Tutorial
What you'll need
- Cabbage. There are different types of cabbage out there. Some are harder than others. When cooking the cabbage, I recommend adjusting the cooking time depending on the cabbage you have and how soft you want it to be.
- Chicken. Dark chicken meat works best here because it's very moist. However, chicken breast can also be used.
- Carrots. Add sweetness and great color.
- Oil. I used olive oil. You can use the oil of your choice.
- Paprika. I use extra paprika in this recipe. Don't worry, go ahead and add it, it gives amazing flavor!
- Tomato Paste. For a touch of sweetness and extra flavor.
- Chicken Stock. Or veggie stock.
- Salt & Pepper. To taste.
- Parsley. To garnish.
- Hot Sauce. Optional, for a little heat.
This dish is also pretty easy to cook. It takes about 15 minutes of active cooking time and 45 more minutes to finish on the stove. Not bad, right? You can clean up the kitchen and set up the dinner table while the dish is cooking.
What kind of Paprika to Use for Cabbage with Chicken?
So many of you have asked me about the kind of paprika I use in this recipe. I recommend using sweet paprika. Typically just labeled as paprika, it has a sweet pepper flavor, without any heat. This paprika is sold in most grocery stores since it is a very popular kind. You can also buy sweet paprika on Amazon.
How to Make Cabbage with Chicken
1. Warm up a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and chicken. Fry for 5-7 minutes or until browned.
2. Meanwhile, slice the cabbage into thin strips, just like you would for coleslaw.
3. Add the paprika and tomato paste to the chicken. Stir, and then sauté for another five minutes.
4. Add the cabbage and cook for five more minutes.
5. Add the shredded carrots, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together.
6. Cook without the lid, on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes, until there is no liquid remaining.
7. Add 1 tablespoon of hot sauce, if desired. Garnish with fresh parsley.
What to serve with this dish
It pairs amazingly well with my Roasted Baby Potatoes or this Spinach Rice.
In general, I like to serve it with plain white rice, mashed potatoes, mashed beans, or just a nice slice of crusty bread.
How to store and reheat
The best thing about this simple recipe is that it stores and reheats well.
Storage is simple in the fact that you just have to add it to a storage container with a lid and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Then, once you're ready to reheat, you have a couple of different options that you can easily do.
The first option is that you can reheat it low and slow on the stovetop. The second option is to use your microwave and heat it for about 1-2 minutes. Either of these methods is perfectly fine for reheating and eating.
Don’t forget to share how you liked this recipe!!!
More tasty cabbage recipes to try:
Cabbage Sauteed with Chicken
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ lb boneless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium cabbage
- 2 medium carrots (shredded)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ⅔ tsp. salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce optional
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Warm up a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and chicken. Fry for 5-7 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, slice the cabbage into thin strips, just like you would for coleslaw.
- Add the paprika and tomato paste to the chicken. Stir, and then sauté for another five minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook for five more minutes.
- Add the shredded carrots, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together. Cook without the lid, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes, until there is no liquid remaining.
- Add 1 tablespoon of hot sauce, if desired. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Mary Turner says
Could I possibly substitute ground chicken for the chicken thighs?
Tania Sheff says
Yes, Mary, you can do that. Happy cooking!