This Cabbage Salad with Corn is made with only a few ingredients and it tastes fantastic! It makes the perfect side dish for almost any kind of meal.
You are going to fall in love with the combination of cabbage, crunchy cucumbers, and sweet corn. This Cabbage Salad with Corn is so easy to make and it’s bursting with flavors and vitamins!
Cabbage is one of my favorite vegetables. I love it baked, sautéed, pickled, and, of course, fresh in a salad. This Cabbage Salad with Corn recipe is a staple at my family because of its simplicity and the fact that it pairs well with almost any food. Not to mention that it’s also very healthy.
Before we get to the recipe, let’s just take a moment and learn how to select the right cabbage.
How to Select Cabbage
You’ll need regular green cabbage for this salad. When selecting cabbage, pay attention to its shape. If the stem where the cabbage was cut is sticking out a bit and the cabbage has a rather oval shape, it indicates that this cabbage has hard leaves that are tough to chew. Try to buy a circular cabbage with a stem that is not sticking out. This cabbage has a much softer texture and very mild flavor. Check out the image below to get a better idea.
Cabbage. Green cabbage works best in this recipe. However, red or Napa cabbage can be used also.
Cucumbers. Fresh English, Persian, or pickling cucumbers. Leave the skin on or peel it.
Corn. I usually use frozen and thawed corn. Canned and home-boiled corn can be used instead.
Dill. My favorite herb! If you are not a fan, green scallions or chives make a great substitute.
Oil. I prefer using extra virgin olive oil. Avocado and grapeseed oil are also great for this salad.
Vinegar. Vinegar adds a nice zing to the salad. Regular white or apple cider vinegar can be used.
Salt + Pepper.
How to Make Cabbage Salad with Corn
1. Start by slicing the cabbage very thinly. You can use a mandoline to help you slice, if you have one.
2. Place the sliced cabbage into a large mixing bowl and add salt and pepper. Using your hands, massage the cabbage (as if you are kneading dough). This will soften the cabbage and release some juices so that it will become moist.
3. Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve.
This Cabbage Salad with Corn recipe is very flexible and easy to customize. Here are some great ideas:
- Add chopped tomatoes
- Use peas instead of corn
- Add diced bell pepper
- Add shredded carrots
- Add cooked chicken pieces
- Add diced apples
How to Store this Salad
This Cabbage Salad is best when eaten fresh. That said, you can store the leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 24 hours. It can technically store longer than that, but the cucumbers will become very soggy, and it won’t be as appetizing.
More Tasty Cabbage Recipes:
Cabbage Salad with CornPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 medium cabbage about 1 1/2 lb.
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup corn frozen and thawed or canned
- 1/3 cup chopped dill
- 1 1/2 tbsp. vinegar
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper or to taste
- Start by slicing the cabbage very thinly. You can use a mandoline to help you slice, if you have one.
- Place the sliced cabbage into a large mixing bowl and add salt and pepper. Using your hands, massage the cabbage (as if you are kneading dough). This will soften the cabbage and release some juices so that it will become moist.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve.