Baked beetroot with toasted walnuts, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese and arugula.
This interesting combination of arugula, beets, tomatoes, honey-walnuts and Parmesan cheese shavings is going to make your day better. It is very simple and delicious. The trick is to bake the beets a day before.
It is a really good idea to bake the beets in advance so you don’t feel like it’s taking you forever to make this salad. Just wash the beets thoroughly, wrap the in double layer of foil and bake at 400F for about an hour or so, depending on the size of the beets. If the beets look too large, just cut them in half before you bake them. To test if the beets are baked through, just pierce them with a metal skewer or knife. If the skewer pierces through easily, turn off the oven, let the beets cool down and transfer them to the refrigerator with the foil still on.
I mentioned in my earlier posts that my mom lives in Italy, so every once in a while I receive a package with a nice piece of Parmesan cheese in it. Yay me! I know that good quality Parmesan cheese can get a little pricey here in the US, so feel free to use goat or blue cheese instead of Parmesan in this salad.
I also suggest that you do not skip toasting the walnuts because they bring a whole lot of flavor to this salad. It takes just a few minutes, so don’t be lazy. 🙂
Bon appétit, friends!
BEET AND PARMESAN ARUGULA SALAD
- 1 small baked beet
- 1 medium tomato
- ⅔ cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese shavings
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- to taste salt and pepper
- Start by toasting walnuts in a small sauce pan on medium heat for a few minutes. Once toasted, add honey, stir and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the dressing ingredients together.
- Cut tomatoes and beets into thin wedges.
- Toss arugula, beets and tomatoes with salad dressing.
- Divide the salad between the plates and top with honey-walnuts and Parmesan shavings.