Hello friends! Happy Saturday! The weekend is finally here, and that means I am cooking something meaty. How about a sandwich on a soft naan bread with juicy beef, yogurt sauce and tomato-cucumber salsa? Yes, please.
I love naan bread. It is really versatile and tasty. I have made attempts at baking it myself, but it’s just reminded me that I am not a baker, so I like store bought naan better. The brand I particularly like is Stonefire, and the bread is called Tandoor baked naan with garlic flavor. I buy it from Walmart and I am pretty sure you can find it at your local Walmart too. They also have delicious ciabatta rolls that I used in my Mushroom Burger recipe.
When choosing beef I suggest buying Loin or Sirloin which are the most delicate cuts of beef. Plus, the process of marinating will make it even softer, so you won’t be disappointed. These kinds of cuts are usually sold as a steak, so you can slice them yourself. I usually cut them into 1/4 thin slices.
Enjoy the sandwiches and have a wonderful weekend, friends!
BEEF SANDWICH ON NAAN BREAD
- 2 4 oz naan breads
- 1/4 lb. thin sliced beef
- 1 cup arugula or spring greens
- 1/2 medium tomato sliced
- 1/2 small onion sliced
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 small cucumber shredded, liquid drained
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- to taste salt
- to taste lemon pepper
For the tomato-cucumber salsa
- 1/2 medium tomato diced
- 1 small cucumber diced
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- a pinch cayenne pepper
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp dried Italian herbs
- Prepare the beef marinade by mixing olive oil, soy sauce, honey and Italian herbs. Combine the beef with the marinade and then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready to prepare the sandwiches, make the yogurt sauce by mixing yogurt and cucumber with some salt, lemon juice and lemon pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare tomato-cucumber salsa by mixing all the ingredients together. Set aside.
- Place naan bread in a warm oven for about 5 minutes, until it gets soft.
- Meanwhile, heat up a large, non-stick griddle to medium-high heat. Once hot, add beef and fry for 2 minutes on each side.
- To assemble a sandwich, divide the arugula, sliced tomatoes and onions between the sandwiches. Top it off with beef, yogurt sauce and cucumber-tomato salsa.