These Baked Potatoes and Zucchini are an easy one-tray side dish that's tasty and simple. You'll love the boost of flavor these vegetables get from the homemade sauce in this recipe.
Baked Potatoes and Zucchini is a great way to take these everyday veggies and make them so much tastier. In this recipe, we're tossing them in a homemade oil-based sauce that's a mix of lemon juice, mustard, maple syrup, and spices. Its blend of sweet, salty, and tangy will really liven our golden brown potatoes and zucchini up and make them the perfect complement to pastas, grains, and meats.
While it doesn't take much prep time at all to make this dish, it does take about an hour for these Baked Potatoes and Zucchini to cook. So start these in the oven and prepare the rest of the main course while they bake. They're low maintenance and a great add-on when you want something healthy and tasty on the table. This dish is easy and delicious, and uses ingredients you may already have in your kitchen. Let's look at what you'll be using.
- Potatoes. I like using Yukon Golds the most. Other types would work as well.
- Zucchini. Or you can use yellow squash.
- Olive Oil. Or your favorite kind is fine.
- Mustard. Dijon, or whatever your favorite type is.
- Lemon Juice. Adds some acidity and a citrusy aroma.
- Maple Syrup. This is for a touch of sweetness.
- Spices. Garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Baked Potatoes & Zucchini
1. In a small bowl, whisk all of the sauce ingredients together thoroughly. Then set them aside.
2. Place the diced potatoes into a medium mixing bowl and pour half of the sauce over them. Mix well. Then transfer the potatoes to a parchment-lined baking tray and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place the diced zucchini into the same mixing bowl (no need to wash it). Add the rest of the sauce and mix well.
5. After 20 minutes, remove the potatoes from the oven and add the zucchini to them. Mix the vegetables together thoroughly and return the tray to the oven for another 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden and the zucchini have softened and cooked through.
How to Pick the best Potatoes and Zucchini
For Potatoes. When choosing your potatoes, look for clean and smooth skins that are firm to the touch. Avoid any with sprouts, cuts, or bruises. If the color is off, with either dark spots or a greenish hue, move on to another potato. Store them in a cool, dry place until they are needed.
For Zucchini. The best zucchini are small to medium in size, between 6 to 8 inches. They should have no cuts or bruises, and should be firm. Some may even have little hairs on them, which indicates freshness. Store them in the fridge, tightly wrapped, until you are ready to cook them.
How to Store and Reheat this dish
These Baked Potatoes and Zucchini can be stored in a tightly-lidded container once they are cool. Keep them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat them, place the vegetables on a parchment-lined baking tray and heat in the oven until warmed through. You can also warm this dish in the microwave, but the texture becomes somewhat soggy from this method, so I prefer the oven.
What to Serve this with
- Protein. These Baked Potatoes and Zucchini go great with tofu, chicken, or pork. You might like it with this Roasted Pepper Stuffed Chicken Breast.
- Salad. Add some fresh salad on the side. I also love serving it with my Three Bean Salad, and Avocado Tomato Salad.
- Pasta. Some simple Pasta with Garlic and Oil is delicious with this dish. Or you could serve it with something more robust, like this One-Pot Pasta with Spinach.
- Grains. Rice, quinoa, couscous, or any other preferred grain would make a nice accompaniment for this vegetable dish. Try it with this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad.
- Warm garlic bread. For a simple lunch or dinner, just pair this side dish with some crusty garlic bread or spoon it onto Potato Flatbread.
Baked Potatoes and Zucchini is such a delicious and easy side dish to prepare. It goes well with meat, pasta, grains, and vegetables, so you're sure to find plenty of opportunities to use this recipe. Flavorful sauce and healthy vegetables make this dish simply divine.
More tasty recipes to try:
- Mexican Zucchini Boats
- Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes
- Potatoes with Mushrooms
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Baked Potatoes and Zucchini
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 medium zucchinis, diced
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. maple syrup or sweetner of choice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper or to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk all of the sauce ingredients together thoroughly. Then set them aside.
- Place the diced potatoes into a medium mixing bowl and pour half of the sauce over them. Mix well. Then transfer the potatoes to a parchment-lined baking tray and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the diced zucchini into the same mixing bowl (no need to wash it). Add the rest of the sauce and mix well.
- After 20 minutes, remove the potatoes from the oven and add the zucchini to them. Mix the vegetables together thoroughly and return the tray to the oven for another 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden and the zucchini have softened and cooked through.