This Baked Cod recipe is truly the best you can find! Perfectly-seasoned cod, covered with a layer of roasted pepper sauce and topped with crispy breadcrumbs.
If you had to try only one recipe from my site, I’d suggest you try this Baked Cod. It makes a great family meal, yet is worthy of a special occasion. If you want to impress your loved ones, this is the recipe for you!
Being a huge seafood fan, cod is my favorite fish to eat. I’d gladly choose it over salmon, shrimp, or scallops. If you haven’t had a chance to try it yet, now is the time to do it.
WHAT IS COD FISH?
Cod is a saltwater fish that belongs to the Gadidae family, along with haddock and monkfish. There are a few varieties of cod that are typically consumed in different parts of the world, such as lingcod, saithe, and zarbo cod. North-Atlantic Cod is the best-known type. It is usually sold as fillets.
Read more: Interesting Cod Facts
WHAT DOES COD FISH TASTE LIKE?
Cod fish has a very mild, slightly sweet flavor, and tender “meat.” Sometimes people refer to cod as the “Chicken of the Sea” because of its tender and flaky meat. Since it doesn’t have a “fishy” taste, cod makes a perfect meal for everyone.
Where to buy Cod Fish?
The best place to buy cod fish is at the local fish market or the store. Fresh, wild-caught cod is fairly easy to find. However, if you can’t find fresh cod at the fish store, check the frozen fish aisle in your local supermarkets. They may have pre-cut, frozen cod fillets there.
How to make Baked Cod:
1. Preheat the oven to 375º F.
2. Season the fish. Pour the olive oil onto a non-stick baking tray. Sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and oregano. Place the fish fillet(s) on top, and gently rub it into these seasonings. Flip the fish and set aside.
3. Make the Roasted Pepper Paste. Place all of the paste ingredients into a food processor and pulse until fairly smooth.
4. Spread the paste onto the fish evenly.
5. Make the Breadcrumbs. Into the same food processor (no rinsing needed), place the bread together with the garlic and anchovy fillets. Add a little black pepper. Pulse until the breadcrumbs form.
6. Top the cod with breadcrumbs, and bake for about 20-25 minutes, depending on how thick your cod fillet is.
How to Bake Cod Fish?
Baking cod fish fillets is easy. Just like with any other fish, the goal is to ensure a tender, flaky fish that maintains its flavor and doesn’t dry out. Preheat the oven to 375º F and place your fish on the middle rack. Start keeping an eye on your fish after 15 minutes, if your fillets are fairly thin. Thicker cod fish fillets will take about 20-25 minutes to bake. If you are not sure if the fish is cooked through, the best way to check is to take it out of the oven and break off a small piece from the thickest part. If it flakes easily, the cod is fully cooked.
What is a good side dish for Baked Cod?
- Salad of your choice. (My favorites are: Tomato Avocado Salad, Zucchini Salad, Tomato Feta Salad, and Perfect Tomato Salad. )
- Mashed or Baked Potatoes.
- Sautéed or steamed vegetables, like asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, or carrots.
- White rice, bulgur, couscous, or quinoa
What kind of wine to pair with Baked Cod?
Look for zesty and refreshing white wines to balance the delicate fish flavor. Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Champagne, and Riesling will pair well with this dish.
You’ll also love these tasty seafood recipes:
Baked Cod Video Tutorial:
Baked CodPrint Pin Rate
- 2 lbs. fresh wild-caught cod
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
For the Roasted Pepper Paste:
- 6 oz. roasted peppers without liquid
- 2 oz. Parmesan
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- handful of fresh parsley
- 1/8 red pepper flakes
For the Breadcrumbs:
- 4 oz. stale bread
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove minced
- a pinch of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Season the fish. Pour the olive oil onto a non-stick baking tray. Sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and oregano. Place the fish fillet(s) on top, and gently rub it into these seasonings. Flip the fish and set aside.
- Make the Roasted Pepper Paste. Place all of the paste ingredients into a food processor and pulse until fairly smooth.
- Spread the paste onto the fish evenly.
- Make the Breadcrumbs. Into the same food processor (no rinsing needed), place the bread together with the garlic and anchovy fillets. Add a little black pepper. Pulse until the breadcrumbs form.
- Top the cod with breadcrumbs, and bake for about 20-25 minutes, depending on how thick your cod fillet is.