These simple Baked Carrot Fries make a healthy and tasty alternative to potato fries. Colorful and soft, it’s impossible to stop eating them!
Carrot is such a healthy and delicious vegetable, and these Carrot Fries prove it. They make a fantastic side dish or snack. My toddler is crazy about these and so am I. You definitely don’t want to skip this recipe.
Health Benefits of Carrots
Carrots are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They have a number of health benefits:
- help to lower blood pressure
- help improve eyesight
- help with weight loss
- help fight cancer
- help improve digestion
Here is a very useful article if you’d like to learn more: 11 Amazing Health Benefits of Carrots
Seasoning for Carrot Fries
In the recipe below, I will use these common spices to enhance the flavor of the carrot fries:
- Paprika. Regular sweet paprika works best.
- Cumin Powder. You can omit cumin if you don’t have any, but this is a wonderful spice and it does bring extra flavor.
Which Oil is Best for Carrot Fries
Grapeseed, avocado, and olive oil are the healthiest options. I am using avocado oil in this recipe. It has neutral flavor and high smoke point. It is a bit more expensive, though.
How to Make Carrot Fries
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Wash and peel the carrots. Cut them into even sticks that are roughly 3-4 inches long and about ½-inch thick. Place them in a mixing bowl.
3. Add the paprika, cumin, salt, and oil. Mix everything well.
4. Transfer the carrots to a large, non-stick baking sheet and arrange them in a single layer.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip, so they cook evenly (see note).
6. Put them back in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until they are soft and start browning.
NOTE: you can skip flipping the carrots if you don’t feel like taking this extra step. They’ll still taste great. 🙂
That’s it! Your Carrot Fries are ready to be enjoyed. Serve these with your favorite dipping sauce, or on the side of any meal.
Organic vs. Non-Organic Carrots
I always recommend going organic, if possible. I’ve noticed that the price difference between organic and conventional carrots is negligible, so it definitely makes the decision easier. That said, if you can’t buy organic carrots, it’s totally fine. Just make sure you peel them. I am still very happy that you are consuming carrots. 🙂
Using Baby Carrots
You can also use baby carrots to make carrot fries. Baby-cut carrots are pieces from larger carrots that have been machine cut, peeled, polished, and washed before packing. Depending on the size of your baby carrots, you should cut them into 2 or 4 sticks.
Are Carrot Fries Healthy?
Carrots are a vitamin/nutrient-rich vegetable that makes a perfect addition to any healthy diet. Since these fries are baked, and not deep-fried, they are also a healthier choice.
How to Store Carrot Fries
Store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to eat, reheat them in the non-stick skillet on the stovetop.
How Long to Bake Carrot Fries for?
- Bake fries for 10 minutes
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes
While the fries are browning in the oven, prepare the table and make the dipping sauce!
What Dipping Sauce Pairs well with Carrot Fries?
- Tzatziki. Try my Homemade Tzatziki recipe.
- Yogurt-Cilantro. 1/3 cup yogurt, 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. finely chopped cilantro, and a pinch of salt.
- Maple Mustard. 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup mustard, and 2 tbsp. maple syrup.
- Ketchup-Mayo. 1/4 cup ketchup and 1/3 cup mayonnaise.
- Spicy Mayo. 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 small minced garlic clove, 1 tsp. lemon juice, and a pinch of cayenne.
You’ll also enjoy these healthy recipes:
Carrot Fries Video Tutorial
Baked Carrot Fries
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 1/2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Wash and peel the carrots. Cut them into even sticks that are roughly 3-4 inches long and about ½-inch thick. Place them in a mixing bowl.
- Add the paprika, cumin, salt, and oil. Mix everything well.
- Transfer the carrots to a large, non-stick baking sheet and arrange them in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip, so they cook evenly (see note).
- Put them back in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until they are soft and start browning.