Moist and chewy, these Avocado Brownies are so delicious, you won't even realize how healthy they are! You're going to love these sweet and chocolaty treats.
Chocolate brownies are such a delicious dessert... but what if you could have them without all the guilt? This Avocado Brownie recipe is going to change the way you look at this indulgent treat. Made with mashed avocados to give them a smooth and creamy texture, these brownies are chewy and soft, and of course, chocolaty!
Unlike other brownie recipes, these Avocado Brownies use pure maple syrup for sweetness rather than refined white sugar, coconut oil that is made up of healthy fatty acids, and cacao powder for a great chocolate flavor without any unnecessary additives. So skip the guilt and try these amazing brownies that are both healthy and yummy. They are sure to become a new favorite.
- Avocados. Use medium-sized avocados for this recipe. If your avocados are on the small size, you might need 2 ½ or 3.
- Oat Flour. You can buy oat flour or just make your own by processing regular oats in a smoothie cup, food processor, or blender until it reaches a fine consistency.
- Cacao Powder. Cacao gives these brownies their amazing chocolate flavor.
- Maple Syrup. Or agave syrup works well, too.
- Coconut Oil. Melted.
- Instant Coffee. This could be omitted, but it gives a lot of flavor and enhances the cacao flavor.
- Vanilla Extract. Another important ingredient to getting the perfect chocolate flavor.
- A Pinch of Salt. This balances the sweetness of the maple syrup and brings out the natural flavor of the cacao.
How to Make Avocado Brownies
1. Using a masher, mash the avocados to a smooth consistency, though a few small chunks is fine, too.
2. Add the oat flour, cacao powder, maple syrup, coconut oil, instant coffee, vanilla, and salt to the avocado mash and mix well.
3. Transfer the avocado brownie batter into a small (8x8 or 9x9) baking dish that is lined with parchment paper. Spread evenly.
4. Bake the brownies for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour.
5. Once cool, remove the parchment paper from the pan (with the brownies in it) and lay flat. Then slice the brownies. Serve with a little maple syrup and cacao powder, or with some coffee or milk.
Helpful Tips & Tricks
Use a food processor. Blend the avocados in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients for a super smooth texture (I prefer the mashed texture personally).
Substitute flours. Use Almond Flour instead of Oat Flour, if desired.
Double the chocolate. If you want even more chocolaty flavor, add chocolate chips to the batter.
Make your brownies even more healthy. You can add ground flax seeds or chia seeds to your batter for extra health benefits.
Go nuts. Add in some nuts for extra flavor and texture. Toasted chopped walnuts make a great addition.
How to Store Avocado Brownies
Store these avocado brownies in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. They could also be frozen, keeping for up to 4 months in the freezer. I like to individually wrap each piece and keep them in a container or zipock bag. Then, I transfer them to the fridge the night before I use them.
Other Delicious Add-ins
- Shredded zucchini - It has a light flavor and adds texture and nutrients. Just peel it and then shred it in a food processor before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Cinnamon - This spice has lots of health benefits and also complements the chocolate flavor of the brownies. Add some into the batter before baking.
- Greek yogurt - This ingredient adds more creaminess as well as a dose of protein. If you want to keep the recipe dairy-free, you can also use coconut milk yogurt.
These Avocado Brownies are the perfect dessert if you are looking for a healthy treat that is dairy-free, gluten-free, and guilt-free. Moist and delicious, you can serve these after dinner or wrap them up for work and school lunches. Even better, it is easy to make and the ingredients are readily available at any grocery store or online. As convenient and yummy as these avocado brownies are, you'll find yourself making them again and again.
More Guilt-Free Sweet Deliciousness:
- Avocado Ice Cream
- Protein Brownies
- Oatmeal Cookies Without Butter
- Almond Flour Brownies
- Gluten-free Dairy-free Blueberry Muffins
- Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
- Black Cocoa Powder Cake
- 2 avocados
- ½ cup maple syrup or agave syrup
- ⅔ cup oat flour
- ⅔ cup cacao powder
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. instant coffee
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- Using a masher, mash the avocados to a smooth consistency, though a few small chunks is fine, too.
- Add the oat flour, cacao powder, maple syrup, coconut oil, instant coffee, vanilla, and salt to the avocado mash and mix well.
- Transfer the avocado brownie batter into a small (8×8 or 9×9) baking dish that is lined with parchment paper. Spread evenly.
- Bake the brownies for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour.
- Once cool, remove the parchment paper from the pan (with the brownies in it) and lay flat. Then slice the brownies. Serve with a little maple syrup and cacao powder, or with a some coffee or milk.