This Angel Hair Pasta is made with cherry tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil. You won't believe how simple and TASTY this recipe is!
An absolutely scrumptious dish made with just a few simple ingredients. Isn’t that what we are looking for when planning our next dinner? This Angel Hair Pasta recipe is going to become your new favorite. I know it!
This recipe comes from my mom. She lived in Italy for over 10 years, and also worked as a chef while there, so she knows a thing or two about Italian cuisine. This was one of the first recipes she taught me. When she first mentioned this recipe, I wasn’t impressed. Tomatoes, pasta, olive oil… It sounded so bland. Boy, was I wrong! Once I tried it, there was no going back!
Video Tutorial for this Angel Hair Pasta
This Angel Hair Pasta Recipe is Vegan.
Pasta. I used regular Barilla Angel Hair Pasta. You can also use whole wheat pasta as a healthier alternative.
Tomatoes. I love using cherry or grape tomatoes the most because they are the sweetest and more flavorful. That said, you can use regular tomatoes, but if you do, I suggest adding ½ tsp. of sugar to the sauce.
Garlic. It adds a ton of flavor, so don't skip this ingredient. You can use MORE garlic, of course. 🙂
Olive Oil. High-quality extra virgin olive oil brings the best flavors and health benefits.
Herbs. I used a combination of parsley and basil since I have both in my garden now. You can use either one or both.
How to make this Easy Angel Hair Pasta
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil and tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and start to fall apart, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package instructions until al dente (3 minutes).
4. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to the tomato sauce. Stir, and cook for about 3-4 minutes, breaking tomatoes in the process.
5. Drain the pasta. Add the pasta and chopped herbs to the tomato sauce. Stir, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Tips for perfect pasta:
- Perfect timing. To make this dish super fast, we are cooking the pasta and the tomato sauce simultaneously. It is best to start boiling the pasta right before the garlic goes into the tomato sauce. This way, the sauce and the pasta will be ready in 3-4 minutes, so you can combine them and serve. If you don’t feel like multitasking, you can boil the pasta beforehand and rinse it with cold water (to prevent sticking). When the sauce is ready, just add the pasta and cook it until heated through.
- Don't forget about the salt. Salt adds flavor to the pasta! When boiling pasta, add at least a tablespoon of salt per 4 quarts of water. Here is a helpful guide: How to Cook Pasta Perfectly Every Time
- Tasty tomatoes. Tomatoes are the main ingredient here. So, make sure you use flavorful tomatoes.
How to store leftovers
Store this Angel Hair Pasta in the skillet or in a bowl, tightly covered with a lid to prevent drying out. It will stay in the fridge for up to 4 days. It tastes great when reheated.
FAQs about this recipe
- How long do you cook Angel Hair Pasta? Because this pasta is so thin, it takes only about 3 minutes to cook it until al dente. It's best to check the best of the box, to the the precise cooking time.
- Can I use other types of pasta for this recipe? Yes, I've tried this recipes with almost all pasta types and it tastes great every time.
- Can I add chicken or shrimp to this recipe? Yes. I would add the chicken together with tomatoes in Step #2 and add the shrimp together with garlic and spices in Step #4.
- Can I make the sauce ahead of time? Yes, it stores well in the fridge. You can even freeze it, if you'd like.
What to serve with Angel Hair Pasta
You can serve this dish on its own. It makes a tasty and filling vegetarian/vegan dinner. It will also taste great with chicken, seafood, steak, and roasted vegetables. Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Easy Chicken Kebabs
- Shrimp in Roasted Pepper Sauce
- Cajun Salmon
- Healthy Cod Fish Skillet
- Roasted Zucchini Salad
How to make this recipe creamy
Did you know that you can make a CREAMY Angel Hair Pasta? It's very tasty as well. You'll just need to add about ⅓ cup of Half&Half (or full-fat coconut milk for the vegan option) at step #4. I encourage you to try both the original recipe and creamy version and pick a favorite. Enjoy!
More tasty pasta recipes:
- Tomato Mushroom Spinach Pasta
- Creamy Roasted Pepper Pasta
- Easy Broccoli Pasta
- Spaghetti with Olive Oil and Garlic
Easy Angel Hair Pasta
- 12 oz. uncooked angel hair pasta
- 1 lb. cherry or grape tomatoes
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil optional
- 1 tsp. salt plus extra for boiling pasta
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes or to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil and tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and start to fall apart, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package instructions until al dente (3 minutes).
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to the tomato sauce. Stir, and cook for about 3-4 minutes, breaking tomatoes in the process.
- Drain the pasta. Add the pasta and chopped herbs to the tomato sauce. Stir, and cook for 2-3 minutes.