This easy-to-make, flavorful, and healthy Shredded Carrot Salad — packed with cranberries, apples, and toasted walnuts — is loved by both kids and adults!
Shredded Carrot Salad is one of those meals that every housewife needs to know how to make. This incredibly tasty, simple, and vitamin-loaded treat makes a great addition to anyone’s diet. Below, I’ll show you how to prepare it, as well as give you a few tips and tricks that go into making it right.
First, you’ll want to use really good CARROTS (duh!). Unfortunately, not all carrots are created equally – some taste sweet and fresh, some are lacking flavor, and some are downright bitter. I usually purchase Organic Carrots from the local Walmart. They only cost about a dollar more, and they always taste great. Just look around your grocery store; you may find that organic carrots are not that expensive.
Second, don’t skip the APPLES. Besides their well-known health benefits, apples add a wonderful flavor and a nice crunch to the salad. I find that Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, and Gala apples work best in this recipe.
As far as the rest of the ingredients, you can customize them to your liking. Today, I am trying it with cranberries and toasted walnuts.
This salad is made with CLASSIC SLAW DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp. of sugar
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
Just place all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
And to make this Shredded Carrot Salad with Cranberries you’ll need:
- 4 cups of shredded carrots
- 1 large apple, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of dried cranberries (or raisins)
- 1/4 cup of chopped toasted walnuts
1. Place the salad ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Pour the dressing on top. Mix everything together.
Yes, you are all done!
- Use a food processor with a special attachment, or a regular grater, to shred the carrots. You may julienne the carrots as well, although I prefer the shredded texture.
- Feel free to substitute cranberries with raisins, or even diced pineapple. You may also substitute walnuts with toasted almonds, pecans, or skip the nuts altogether.
- Unfortunately, this salad doesn’t stay well in the refrigerator. I recommend making just enough so that you won’t have any leftovers.
Enjoy your yummy Shredded Carrot Salad with Cranberries, friends!
PIN THIS RECIPE