White rice mixed with tuna, fresh tomatoes, Swiss cheese, olives, and eggs, make this Italian Rice Salad a great lunch or a light dinner!
Among the many recipes my mom has taught me, this Italian Rice Salad is one of my favorite. The combination of all ingredients works really well, and the salad is filling, yet not too heavy. It is definitely a great lunch during those hot summer days.
I usually have all the ingredients for this salad on hand. A can of tuna and olives from the pantry, rice, and who doesn’t have some tomatoes, cheese or eggs in refrigerator? If that’s you – you need to do some shopping, my friend.
I recommend using long-grain white rice in this recipe. Basmati rice is my favorite kind and I rarely use any other kind. Whichever rice you choose, make sure it is not too starchy, because you want nice, and not sticky rice. Let’s start cooking!
- 4 cups of cooked long-grain rice
- 3 cups of diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups of chopped black olives
- 2 cups of diced Swiss cheese (or your favorite kind)
- 4 hardboiled eggs, chopped
- 1 can of tuna
- 4 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. of chopped dill
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place all of the the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. (Note: use the oil from the tuna can as well).
2. Garnish your salad with more dill if desired.
This salad can be stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours. If you wish to store it longer, skip the tomatoes, and add them just before serving. I really hope you will enjoy this Italian Rice Salad as much as I do. I make it at least once per week during the summer.
Before you go…
Check out these recipes