This Easy Mushroom Sauce has been in my family for generations. It’s so simple, yet very flavorful. It tastes great on steak, fish, veggie, and of course, mashed potatoes!
This is one of those recipes that never gets old and I never met a person who wouldn’t enjoy it. My favorite way to eat it – is with a big spoon straight out of the pan. Yes, that’s my spoon you see in the photo. 🙂
Jokes aside, this Easy Mushroom Sauce pairs with almost anything. I recently made some baked yams and served them with this mushroom sauce. It was a hit! I also love it over green beans, grilled chicken, rice and buckwheat… The possibilities are endless, so don’t be afraid to use your imagination.
To make this sauce you’ll need:
- 1 lb. sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (I am using Daisy Sour Cream)
- parsley to garnish
1. Saute the mushrooms in oil on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
2. Add shredded carrot and diced onion.
3. Saute the mushrooms with carrot and onion for another 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile prepare the sauce. In a separate skillet, slightly brown the flour on medium heat.
5. Add the vegetable broth (one cup at a time) and stir vigorously until no lumps remain.
6. Add the sauce to the mushrooms.
7. Add the sour cream and stir.
8. Cook the sauce for another minute and turn off the heat. Try if the dish needs a little salt and pepper.
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley or dill and ENJOY!
Hope you guys will enjoy this recipe as much as I do and even more! Don’t forget to share your thoughts and culinary adventures in the comments below. If you do cook this dish, snap a quick photo and share on Instagram with hashtag #cooktoria.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small percentage if you make a purchase using this link.
Before you go…
Check out these recipes